PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 12:49 PM

could be bad tires or rims. I have heard of new tires being too defective to balance properly. if your old tires and rims dont vibrate then it has to be the new set. take them to a different tire shop for a second opinion

Old 11-08-2010, 12:24 PM

I had the wheels balanced again and the tech said they all balanced?!?!? with about 16ounces of weights! I changed all the shocks (Rancho 9000) and with Rancho steering stabilizer and still no help. I will check the bearings again.

I have contacted the wheel manufacturer (Interco) and they said they wanted the tires back for inspection. If i do that, i'm out of a ride. Anyways, I still negotiating to see if i can trade them in. These Interco Trxus SUCKS!

Old 11-09-2010, 11:11 AM

are you 100% it was the tierods and not the hubs?
when you have the vehicle lifted and shaking the tire..
tierods are right to left--- any slack and or play and its the tierods
bearing hubs --- lifting the tire up and down.. if there is any play the its the hub(s)

besides this.. it could be your steering components... pitman/idler/steering box/intermediate arm.

another thing it could be is your half shaft(s)... these are relatively cheap $60 to $100 each.. and if you replace your hubs, might as well take the extra 10 mins and replace the shafts too while your there.

simple way of ruling out that it is the tires... rotate them.
if the vibration persists after you completly rotate the tires out.. then its not the tires.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:11 AM

Hellzarmy,
i have replaced the tierods, pitman and idler arm since thats what the alignment place told me. there was some play left to right so their recommendation seemed to be right. However, i did not check for play in the up and down motion. I will do that and keep you guys updated.

Thanks for you guys help.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:34 AM

I checked the play on both front tires last night and there is no play in the 12 and 6o'clcok positions. I jacked the hummer up until the tires were off the ground and shook the tires and no play?!?!?

I was driving into work this morning and was thinking, Could the brake pad be holding the rotor and hub straight and not allowing the wheel to move????

I did notice that my brake pedal while applying pressure would sometimes move down further on turns. COuld the hub be pushing the pads out? Could the brake pads be trying to keep the hub run straight?

This is driving me crazy....Any more advice???? I will go ahead and let the tire guys balance the tires again, but this time, i will have them or me check the play in the hub using a pry bar when the tires are off.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:15 PM

I can assure you that if you have all new parts on your front linkage that is not the problem.

Your problem is most likley hubs or tire balancing. Hubs will make a grinding or a wrwrwwrwr noise when cornering the truck if they are going bad. If your hubs are original this could be the problem. Also if you have cranked your t-bars much more than 2" the vibration is comming from the 1/2 shafts.

Givin the info you have provided it could be tire balancing.
I would HIGHLY recommend you buy Dynabeads for your tires and take all the weights off the wheels. You are going to need roughly 10oz of Dynda beads per tire. They go inside of the tire and you will NEVER have to balance the tire again.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:17 PM

The vibration/shimmy is GONE!. After my fifth time at balancing my tires, i went to another shop and they did a "static" or "passive" balance on the wheels and the major shimmy is gone. I can drive 90mph and there's a slight vibration probably from the chopped tires from 2 months of improper balancing of my wheels. Now instead of 16oz of wheel weights, i have about 4oz. So about >$1k in possibly unnecessary part replacements, it turns out it was a Major tire and battery company which could not balance a tire?!?!?

Thanks for everyones ideas and comments.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:37 PM

Old thread but a new problem for me.
I hear a clicking/popping noise when I turn my wheels left and right. doesnt matter if i am moving or parked. it is coming from the front of the truck and just started the other day. I swear it is coming from here but maybe deeper in the steering. Nevermind the oil on the spacers, it is power steering fluid. It overflowed when the service shop over filled it and it came out while driving home. I emptied it back down to normal level.
Name:  IMG_0215.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  67.0 KB