PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering does'nt lock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Default Steering does'nt lock?

Is it just me or do these thing dont lock when key is off like most other vehicles do? I am affraid someone could backup to it, load it and drive off, without a struggle.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Default RE: Steering does'nt lock?

when the key is off or out? i never tested it with the key just off, but mine locks when the key is out. as for towing it off, it would still be in park and wouldn't roll too easily. can you shift it when the key is out?

Old 01-04-2008, 02:12 PM

BRB. Checking

Old 01-04-2008, 02:14 PM

Key out, no lock, Does not engage into gear.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:24 PM

so the key is out and the steering doesn't lock. there have been other posts where the key wouldn't even come out and the ignition switch was bad, but that's not the same case as yours. can you move the shifter, take it out of park, when the key is out? still under warranty? i don't know that i'd worry too much about the wheel not locking when the key is out, but if you can move the shifter that's a really bad thing. my shifter snapped the cable below the center console and i could turn the truck off and shift all i wanted, but couldn't get the key back past the accessory position. had to disconnect the battery and drive to the dealer the next day. if you've got warranty left, it's worth taking it in to get fixed. if not, well, it probably won't be too cheap to fix . . .[]

Old 01-04-2008, 02:28 PM

I can fix it myself. I just didnt want to start throwing parts at it if they didnt need to be replacxed. It will not shift with key out.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:30 PM

there's a "stick" in the bottom, left hand side of the steering wheel trim (under the turn signal wand), referred to as J 42640, that can be removed to unlock the steering column. don't know what it looks like, and it's like a freakin' hurricane outside right now so i'm not gonna go out and look. that's all the shop manual shows for unlocking the steering column - all the other troubleshooting guides refer to not being able to turn the key to off or get it out of the ignition switch.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:32 PM

replacing the ignition switch and ignition lock cylinder both require disabling the SIR system. wouldn't want your airbags slamming you in the face when you replace the switch and reconnect the battery.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

So it's windy in CA. Was 6 above yesterday when I came into work!!! 19 today, breezy. [8D]

Old 01-04-2008, 02:45 PM

and raining like a ****. the wind is blowing the water into my garage and workshop under the doors. already ruined some maple plywood i had leaning against the wall. that stuff sucks up water like a sponge and changes 3/4" plywood into 5/4" plywood.

supposed to get up to 7' of snow in the pass between here and Reno.

Quick Reply: Steering does'nt lock?