PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starr hid's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Default Starr hid's?

Does anyone have them? Do you have a picture of the cut off line (I'd prefer not to blind other drivers) and how reliable have they been?

Old 01-30-2014, 10:01 PM

I am curious as well. There is a youtube video of a hummer with them in Russia (or somewhere like that). The line seems legit, but the throw is questionable. They do not specify if the ballasts are 35w or 55w. One more thing I noticed in the video was that the cutoff did not seem to be sharp and it actually appeared to have a hump rather than the normal ramp for highway signs!

Old 01-31-2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by maddness038
Does anyone have them? Do you have a picture of the cut off line (I'd prefer not to blind other drivers) and how reliable have they been?
I have them and I bought and installed them in late 2007. I have had no problems and only recently changed the bulbs (envelops) The bulbs were getting brighter, which is a characteristic of them getting old. The bulbs, ignitors and 35W ballast are Phillips brand. These are the best on the market and used by most OEM HID automobiles.
Their cut off from the shield is very sharp and typical of projection HID's. This eliminates the dazzle to oncoming drivers

You will find people saying that they are too high a price, but they probably don't own them and just don't have the money to buy them. A Ferrari is expensive, but that doesn't mean its not a great car.
Most if not all who have them like them very much. They are legal in all 50 states.
They come in either black and chrome housings.

A search will give you more on these and other HID's

Old 01-31-2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by wfturner
I have them and I bought and installed them in late 2007. I have had no problems and only recently changed the bulbs (envelops) The bulbs were getting brighter, which is a characteristic of them getting old. The bulbs, ignitors and 35W ballast are Phillips brand. These are the best on the market and used by most OEM HID automobiles.
Their cut off from the shield is very sharp and typical of projection HID's. This eliminates the dazzle to oncoming drivers

You will find people saying that they are too high a price, but they probably don't own them and just don't have the money to buy them. A Ferrari is expensive, but that doesn't mean its not a great car.
Most if not all who have them like them very much. They are legal in all 50 states.
They come in either black and chrome housings.

A search will give you more on these and other HID's
Yeah I did a bit of research last night and you post just sold me on them, I'm going to call the company up next week and order them, What temp color did you stick with?

I'm certain I will go with A factory look of 4300k

Old 01-31-2014, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by maddness038
Yeah I did a bit of research last night and you post just sold me on them, I'm going to call the company up next week and order them, What temp color did you stick with?

I'm certain I will go with A factory look of 4300k
I went with the 35W system, 4300K. The only ones they had in 07. The 4300K bulb (envelop) is also the brightest of all the different kelvin bulbs. When you go to 6000K or even higher the lumen out put drops.
I wanted the highest lumen bulb. I do allot of night driving.
Where ever you buy them, try to ask if they are the Philips bulbs (D1S) and Phillips ballast. Some sellers will try to talk you into the other bulbs and ballast. Some are from China and you don't want those.
The STARR system uses the D1S bulb and you should make sure they are matched bulbs. The serial number on the ignitor base of the bulb should match. That way they will be same color and intensity

Last edited by wfturner; 01-31-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by wfturner
I went with the 35W system, 4300K. The only ones they had in 07. The 4300K bulb (envelop) is also the brightest of all the different kelvin bulbs. When you go to 6000K or even higher the lumen out put drops.
I wanted the highest lumen bulb. I do allot of night driving.
Where ever you buy them, try to ask if they are the Philips bulbs (D1S) and Phillips ballast. Some sellers will try to talk you into the other bulbs and ballast. Some are from China and you don't want those.
The STARR system uses the D1S bulb and you should make sure they are matched bulbs. The serial number on the ignitor base of the bulb should match. That way they will be same color and intensity
I would buy them direct from the starr website,

How hard was the install / aiming them?

Old 02-01-2014, 08:02 AM

The install is not that difficult. You can download the instructions first and check them out.
Since the STARR headlight housings snap onto the stock headlight pins in the headlight bucket, the alignment is pretty much on.
You may have to adjust the small adjustment screw on the on the vehicle up or down to get them aligned vertically. There is no horizontal adjustment on headlights any more.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:01 AM

Epic. I am definetly Picking these up.