PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Stainless, Amuminum or chrome

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Default Stainless, Amuminum or chrome

Okay, the more I look at mods, the more I MUST have. LOL. You all knew it was going to happen didn't ya?

So, what is the better or the 3 for this mod. (The side marker lights and the 3 lights on the back roof bezels) The polished stainless steel, the polished aluminum or chrome? Or is there another one better. I want the screw on, not the tape on ones. (Being a boater, I am a fan of stainless steel)

Paul

Old 05-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Default RE: Stainless, Amuminum or chrome

Lots of vendors call their polished stainless "chrome"...But true stainless will probably have a longer life span than chrome and look identical, IMHO.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:59 AM

I say chrome personally. Stainless seems to dull out and requires polishing. besides almost all the other accessories come in chrome as well and not stainless.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:06 AM

These are the ones I am thinking about. I have asked if they are the screw down kind that goes behind the lights, or tape on. No reply yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...11264&rd=1

I agree about the stainless steel. It needs buffed up every now and then. I have lots on my SeaSwirl boat that I have to keep up with. The chrome that was on it, is long gone due to crabbing. (salt water).

Paul

Old 05-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

It depends on the grade of stainless......check H2Joe's post above. So to complicate this question..[sm=devilgrin.gif].. find out if what you are looking for is
a "marine grade" SS 316.... or higher; or if it is SS 304....commonly referred to as 18/8, or perhaps just slightly better but still not marine grade?

Stainless is also finished to varying degrees scaled 0 to 9. #7 is a reflective finish and looks nice, #8 is a mirror finish and when on higher grade SS, looks and stays looking very similar to chrome plated.
So, when SS316 (with its higher chromium andnickelcontent) has a # 8 finish "highly polished" it will hold up better than chrome and appears almost identical.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:34 AM

I personally like stainless better but that is just because I live in the Northeast and my H2 is not garage kept. Stainless has always lasted longer for me. I do have some pieces chrome but that's just because A.) I couldn't find them in stainless or b.) just couldn't afford them in stainless!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:43 AM

That is a good point, so people will list as stainless, but grade could be very low or even a thin plate that will peal off. I too like to save some money when buying mods. Since I live in Salem Oregon, where there are no real mod shops, I have to buy online most everything. Most of the mods shops around here have gone to the small cars like Honda, VW's and so on. The lot where we got our H2 has some add ons, but OUCH, they are almost 3 times as spendy.

Buying online is always a chance, or shot in the dark. I will to learn from other people that have made mistakes.. lol

Paul

Old 05-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Damn Doc that sounded like you knew what you were talking about.Very impressive. After that you have to do what Doc said.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:02 PM

The only issue I've ever had with chrome was pitting on a set of rims or flaking from something that was really beat up. Other than that, even the chromed ABS plastic I've seen is low maintanance and cheap enough to replace even if it does start to degrade. I am honestly one person that doesn't opt for the sheap way out but for small add on accessories I would just replace it when the time comes versus spending all the up keep involved with it.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:27 PM

Well, I LOVE Chrome!!!

But Stainless, as long as you don't mind the occasional cleaning, would probably be your best bet!!

Quick Reply: Stainless, Amuminum or chrome