PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Spring Compressors

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
Default Spring Compressors

I need to change some front McPherson strut parts on my new car. I've always been paranoid about using spring compressors but I really dont' want to spend money on somebody else doing something I can do so easily with the right tools.

If anybody has experience with them, what do you think about these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MacPh...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/McPhe...spagenameZWDVW

Old 07-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Default RE: Spring Compressors

Can you buy Monroe Quick Struts for it? They have all new hardware and are simple to install, you just throw away your old hardware!

Old 07-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately they don't have them for this car. It's a '01 Volvo V70 wagon. I called them directly and they said they don't have any kind of future list of what cars will be getting them, just whatever is out right now.

I was hoping too. You can get them for around $150 a piece. That's awesome considering they come with new springs. I'm starting to appreciate how easy my H3 is to work on again. I forgot what a PITA FWD cars can be. This one isn't TOO bad though.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:01 PM

Hmmm, around here when a Volvo needs work, we usually give them a coat of kerosene and.........you know

Old 07-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

I NEVER thought in a million years I'd own a Volvo, believe me, but for what we needed a car for and the price, we found a good deal on one and it's the first luxry-like car I've had, being car #12 for me I just need to replace a strut spring seat, and later on the struts but they have some life left. I just want to do it myself. I keep letting the whole "spring will go through your chest" theory get to me

Old 07-02-2008, 03:11 PM

Mike,

Quit being a Pu$$y and use your bare hands like a real man

Serioulsy dude I would not do those myself. That job is a PITA I have done it and never want to do it again.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:08 PM

Just kiddin ya, I'm looking for a winter beater now, I'd prefer an American ride because I know how to fix them, but I'll buy anything if the price is right....

I bought a commercial strut compressor at an auction, you're right about getting killed, or getting your face ripped off if you go the cheapo route. Will your local machine shop do them for you? Call around, you might find some place that will do them, considering the slow economy.