Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Speaker problem? Ground wire? (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/speaker-problem-ground-wire-32427/)

Jondean987 01-31-2014 09:09 PM

Speaker problem? Ground wire?

My H3 is having a problem with the audio. I have sound coming from the tweeters in the A-pillars but no sound at all from the door speakers. I thought it was the head unit so i replaced it but still having the same problem. The speakers are producing power when i checked the voltage but no sound. Please help!

TAINTER 02-01-2014 01:48 AM

Your speakers are blown. Replace them with a 6.5" or 6.75".

Jondean987 02-01-2014 06:59 AM

I was thinking that but they used to flicker on and off so i didnt think it was the speakers. Thanks thou, ill try speakers.

TAINTER 02-01-2014 10:12 AM

When the voice coil of a speaker goes it can either be an abrupt ending or have the flicker you speak of.

If you have a signal in the speaker wire at the speaker itself and nothing out of the speaker. The speaker is blown, dead, fired, ka-put, morte.

stinger95 02-01-2014 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had the same thing happen to me. At first I lost driver side front and rear. Next was the passenger rear. I assumed it was the stock head unit (didn't do much research on the subject) so I ordered a new Pioneer DVD head unit. I wanted a new system anyways to be frank. Bluetooth and I-pod interface was a must have. Love this new system! $270 from Crutchfield. Hooked it up and same deal, one speaker working. I had never heard of multiple stock speakers going in such a short period of time simultaneously. Ordered a new set of Sony XS-GT1638F 6 1/2" 3 way speakers from Crutchfield for $99. 4 speakers, mounting plates and factory connections included. And free shipping. Problem solved. They are quite an improvement over stock speakers.

Attachment 6919

K0PIR 02-05-2014 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jondean987 (Post 307724)
My H3 is having a problem with the audio. I have sound coming from the tweeters in the A-pillars but no sound at all from the door speakers. I thought it was the head unit so i replaced it but still having the same problem. The speakers are producing power when i checked the voltage but no sound. Please help!

Yeah I've had trouble with the drivers door speaker. For a few months it wasn't working and I bought a new speaker, hooked it up and it was still dead.

I gave up troubleshooting it for a while and all of the sudden it started working.

Probably a loose connection somewhere, but I don't know where.

happythree 02-05-2014 10:24 PM

if you check speakers with an ohmmeter they read less than 8 ohms,like 4-6 and you hear a scratching when you touch the leads.
at least now if they don't work tomorrow you know the speak is ok.

TAINTER 02-05-2014 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by happythree (Post 307894)
if you check speakers with an ohmmeter they read less than 8 ohms,like 4-6 and you hear a scratching when you touch the leads.
at least now if they don't work tomorrow you know the speak is ok.

drtom, you are slipping into your old jibberish again! :confused:

happythree 02-06-2014 10:19 AM

I mentioned the original problem to my brother, a super tech, and he wondered how voltage was tested since the average guy wouldn't know how to check audio voltage and if he did,the first test would be an ohmmeter on the speaker wires. he never heard the term "flicker "used in audio.
my bro said he used to get "one side dead" radios with the balance turned wrong. he saw it all!

he reminded me that you can check polarity of a spk with a aa battery, watching the cone move. he saw it all

alengman 02-07-2014 01:09 PM

I'm currently trying to figure this out myself. I replaced all the speakers and now the driver side speaker keeps going on and off. If i turn the volume up, the driver side speaker will come on. It will then go off when I hit a bump or something but when I turn the volume up, it comes back on again. I'm not sure if its the head unit or a loose connections somewhere. Waiting for it to get warmer so I can take the unit out and check for loose connections.