PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 12:02 AM
Default spark plugs

Hi all. I am considering changing the plugs on my 2003 H2. It has about 70,000 miles now and I don,t know the previous service history. Does anyone here have any tips to share to make this job alittle easier? My owners manual shows a gap of .060 and I believe the plugs to be iridium. On the sparkplugs.com site they show a selection of iridium plugs for this application with different gaps. They also say not to gap them as they will already be factory gapped and trying to gap them could damage the iridium tips. Any information on spark plug replacement you guys could share would be greatly appreciated. The owners manual lists Denso and Ngk plugs. So, has anyone here changed the plugs on the H2? Thanks in advance guys.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:53 AM
Default RE: spark plugs

i am a huge fan of the bosch platinum 4's they come already gapped but are a liottle pricey

Old 10-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

It never hurts to change them.....

Always check the gap.... they come pregapped.... but your autoparts store might have somebody like HummBob that stocks the shelves and likes to drop them.... ALWAYS check that gap... The gap is written on the sticker under the hood on the radiator support...

Personally I think Bosch +4 is junk.... I change mine one a year and the porcelin used to crack in my Explorer...

Old 10-04-2007, 06:29 PM

really,man i have used these in everything and never had a problem,you didnt have hummbob install them did you

Old 10-04-2007, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. My auto parts guy told me they have ac delco iridium plugs and my cost would be $9 each. Doesn,t sound too bad as the dealer is quoting me $15 each. Would you guys just snug them up or torque them? I don,t have a service manual yet to know what they should be torqued at. I would guess about 10ft.lbs? The owners manual shows a gap of .060 Would you guys go by that or what the plug manufacturer says? Thanks again guys

Old 10-04-2007, 11:57 PM

i work on vehicles and the safest thing to avoid troubles is go to GM and get the plugs that are meant for your application..........spark plugs all have different heat ranges, and all these aftermarket companies are interested in is selling you their product. you would be ok to just snug them up also take your time and go easy you do not want to cross thread them.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

For the threes: Performance Spark Plugs for the H3 and an old tech read, the poster let his pics crash, but the tech is amusing on the topic!! Spark Plug Technical Info

Old 10-05-2007, 10:53 AM

Thanks for your help guys! Just one more question before my weekend project. There is a metal jacket of some kind around the plug where the wire connects to it. I am guessing this is some kind of heat shield? Do any of you guys know if this shield comes off to get at the plug? Is this shown in the manual? It looks like you would pull the wire off the plug then possibly remove this heat shield then pull the plug. I have to get a service manual soon. As always thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

I always use anti seize too.... it's cheap and you will never regret using it....

Old 10-05-2007, 10:16 PM

Yes, I will use some anti seize on the threads.Glad you reminded me. In regards to the "heat shield" around the plugs. Does anyone know if this just pulls off or does it even have to come off to get the plugs out?

Quick Reply: spark plugs