PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare tire, inside or out??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Default Spare tire, inside or out??

Help me decide I am torn 50/50 whether to keep my spare were it is on the exterior carrier. If I decide to keep it work is needed, during my Xmas vacation I was going to remove it for sandblasting and painting. I also have the interior carrier including the GM floor mat, I hate to lose my cargo area since I have my third seat in. On the other hand I find myself not opening the hatch much because swinging out the spear is a bear!( plus it rattles bad over bumps) But when I do swing it out i look at how much different it looks, kind of like the clean look but hate to lose the cargo area...such the problems us H2 guys have

Old 12-19-2013, 09:49 PM

It's all a personal preference. I had a 03 and the spare took up too much interior space. I just picked up a 05 and personally like the look and feel the spare tire carrier is solid. I don't have any issues with swinging it open to access the hatch.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:43 AM

My spare was on the inside but I couldn't stand all the space it took up so I just took mine completely out along with the 3rd row seat

Old 12-20-2013, 11:01 AM

Same here. it was on the inside and took up too much space. I bought and installed an external carrier and then couldn't turn when I had my trailer hooked up. had to sell it and go back to the internal carrier which sux in my opinion but I have no alternative unless I want to switch back and forth everytime I go camping.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by H2CANEPADESIGN
Same here. it was on the inside and took up too much space. I bought and installed an external carrier and then couldn't turn when I had my trailer hooked up. had to sell it and go back to the internal carrier which sux in my opinion but I have no alternative unless I want to switch back and forth everytime I go camping.
They do make hitch extensions to extend your tounge..

Even though I don't have an H2, I like the look of the outside spare, and I wouldn't want to lose any storage putting a spare inside. I'd put it on a roof rack before I put it inside.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bunger
They do make hitch extensions to extend your tounge..

Even though I don't have an H2, I like the look of the outside spare, and I wouldn't want to lose any storage putting a spare inside. I'd put it on a roof rack before I put it inside.

It would be ideal to throw it up on my roof with a Gobi rack, good lord I am not cheap... but you can have $1500 -$2K till all in

Old 12-20-2013, 01:49 PM

I had mine on the outside then mounted it inside. I am not too happy either way though inside does make it easier for general purpose use...

Old 12-21-2013, 10:04 AM

I have the external spare tire carrier, needed the cargo space, also kept the third row seat, I just remove it if I don't need it. I use the trailer hitch extension, with the extension, the external carrier is not an issue when I need to hook up either one of utility trailers.

Dan

Last edited by Allterrainblue07; 12-21-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Default spare tire location

As stated from other members here, there are distinct advantages of mounting the spare in either location.

When I got my H2, mine was also on the outside. I tried it for awhile but over time, I decided that I liked the spare on the inside instead. I wanted to protect my spare from the ultra-violet rays of the sun and worried about it getting stolen as well. I could have just got a locking lug nut but I felt that was only a band-aid fix.

I was aware of the compromises of having the spare inside thus losing some cargo space but I don't haul that much cargo that often anyway, so I found a fellow H2'er that was selling his carrier and I bought it and installed it myself.

I do agree that having the spare inside does make the back of the H2 look nicer in appearance. So given all these posts, I guess what it really comes down to in the end is what your own personal preference is.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:15 PM

I have mine out side,best place for it......lots of room inside,and easy to get off if you need it...(have wheel lock on mine)..my buddy has his inside and very confined,the tire outside also keep the bushes off the truck if you back up into spaces like I do...most of the time....but its your choice....

Have a Merry Christmas

Quick Reply: Spare tire, inside or out??