PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some thoughts on a longtime discussion (BFG/Duratrac tire content)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Default Some thoughts on a longtime discussion (BFG/Duratrac tire content)

After 123,000 miles I finally replaced my BFG AT KO's. I really couldn't be happier with the mileage I got out of the and if I lived in a warm climate, I wouldn't hesitate to put them on again as an everyday tire for commuting, etc. That is the end of the positives for that tire in a northern climate.

I had some real control issues while driving in slick conditions. I started a thread about it long ago because it was quite concerning. As a result, I never really felt as confident driving the 3 as I did the 97 Jeep GC I had previously. After considering many things, including my driving habits, I began to suspect the BFG's were the problem, specifically the tread pattern being too tight. I noticed that the tires would pack tight with snow and never clear very well. This resulted in what was almost a racing slick on some occasions.

This time when I replaced tires I got 285 Duratracs. It has been like driving a different vehicle in the snow and what I expected driving a Hummer would be like. It's point and go like the GC was and stops on a dime. I never get the 'snow plow' affect anymore. The tread pattern is much more open on the Duratracs which I suspect is the difference. I also think 285's are a must in snowy areas for the 3's. It is a much more manageable vehicle in the deep snow with the 285's opposed to the 265's.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:58 PM

I plan on replacing the cooper at3's on mine they are terrible in the bad roads. I have ran the bfg's at's before they were good too me. Last winter I ran mud tires and it went like nothing but the noise drove me crazy in the early summer so I took them off. I was looking at the goodyears as well, I might go that way.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:26 PM
rsc

The Duratracs are really good in snow, they do tend to pick up and hold pea-sized gravel in the tread. I replaced them with Kelly Safari TSR's and found that they are even better in the snow but not quite as good in standing water evacuation. The Kelly's are a hair quieter and don't trap gravel in the tread. They also self-clean mud much better than the Duratracs- I would drive several hundred yards throwing mud on the street but not with the Kelly's. The Kelly's tread feels just a little looser when turning the wheel from a stop (those big tread blocks?) but the Duratracs squirm in the corners for the first 10k miles where the Kelly's are solid in the curves. I got about 54k miles out of the Duratracs with minimal rotations and still had about 1/8" before the wear bars when I replaced them. I bet they both will go 60k miles.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:24 AM

I've had Duratrac's on my truck for 5 years now. I live in New England and couldn't be happier with the winter performance.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mickey Thompson 305 MTZs here. You guys mentioned something about..... winter???

Never noticed, I just ignore that white flying stuff, so do my tires.

I have had many sets of BFGs on prior trucks, the MTZs are simply better in every department, except they do get noisy at the end of tread life.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:03 PM
rsc

Last year I got to see plenty of snow, this year just a few flurries.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:57 PM

My tires are Good Year Wrangler: P265/70R16. I cannot say that I feel very confident on them driving my H3 during harsh, cold and snowy Canadian winters, but they are still good enough!

Old 02-09-2015, 07:13 PM
Default Bridgestone dueler AT

During the "snowpacolapse" of 2010 MY 3 still had the Stock 285/75/R16 Bridgestone duelers AKA Adventure tires and they were great.

Name:  snowpocalipse%20me.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  77.1 KB

Back in my Air Force days haha

Name:  snowP%202-6%205.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  40.2 KB

The other vehicles on base didn't move.. for days.

Name:  2nd%20blizzard%205.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  112.4 KB

The 3 got me to work every day, without fail.

Name:  IMAG1770.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  118.1 KB

Now I use 285/75/R16 hercules mud diggers, haven't had the chance to try them out in deep snow but I'd be willing to be there're much better.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:27 AM

Love my duratracs. My driveway is very steep and I never have issue getting out even in deep snow.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:42 AM

I just got brand new Nitto Trail Grapplers and so far so good. Tire noise did increase a little over my BFG A/Ts. So far after driving around the last 3 days I'm happy with my purchase. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Some thoughts on a longtime discussion (BFG/Duratrac tire content)