PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Default So now what?

I made a bonehead mistake yesterday/today. Experts, what should I do?

Somehow I purchased a 5qt jug of M1 5W-20 and one qt of the recommended 5W-30. I don't know how I didn't notice at the store. This isn't my first oil change. Unfortunately, I didn't notice at home either until I was getting the last few drops out of the big jug.

So, what to do now? Run it and not worry. Drain it all and refill with 30.

Obviously I'm not thrilled with the idea of throwing $32 of oil away.

Any help is appreciated!

Old 05-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Banned

ID drain it and save it for my mower and get a note from your mother next trip!!

write 5w30 99 times in your journal

i wooden be trilled about blowing my motor??

Old 05-15-2011, 07:23 PM

If it's mixed I wouldn't worry.....watch the temp and change at 3000 miles unless you are going to make a trip.....

Old 05-16-2011, 06:10 AM
Banned
Default I would be Leary, Timothy

[QUOTEIf it's mixed I wouldn't worry.....watch the temp and change at 3000 miles unless you are going to make a trip..... ][/quote]

if its mixed?,,,im betting it is,huh

dont worry?? but;
watch the temp??? oil and temp?

change at 3000(just in case?) not 5000-10000 as usual?

and,,dont take a trip

can anybody make any sense out of this??

Old 05-16-2011, 07:11 AM

For those weak at mind let me explain:
FACT
Mixing 5:20 & 5:30 is not going to have a damaging effect with Mobile 1.

I was merely suggesting not a 2000 mile trip which I just made....Local driving should be fine.

Since you seem to be the resident genius around here, and I guess since I am using 0/30 Amsoil and have been since it pulled off the lot, I am oblivious as well. Do some research on synthetics...its not your old fashioned 3000 mile oil change anymore. Also go out to the racetrack and see how many laps the pro's are putting on their synthetic oils....I bet you will be surprised how often the Amsoils and Royal Purples are being changed.

See below....Mobile One falls shortly behind....compare this to your oil! or maybe pour it out and use 6 quarts of oil in your lawn mower....you should have enough until your dead!

TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES
Signature Series 100% Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil (ASM)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270)
CCS Viscosity, cP @ (°C) (ASTM D-5293)
4885 (-35)
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92)
226 (439)
Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92)
246 (475)
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-97)
-54 (-65)
NOACK Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D-5800)
High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity
@ 150°C, 1.0 X 106 s.-1), cP (ASTM D-5481)
Four-Ball Wear Test @ 40 kgf, 75ºC,
1200 rpm, 1 hr, scar diameter, mm (ASTM D-4172)
Total Base Number (ASTM D-2896)

TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES
Signature Series 100% Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil (AZO)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270)
CCS Viscosity, cP @ (°C) (ASTM D-5293)
5954 (-35)
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92)
224 (435)
Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92)
246 (475)
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-97)
-51 (-60)
NOACK Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D-5800)
High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity
@ 150°C, 1.0 X 106 s.-1), cP (ASTM D-5481)
Four-Ball Wear Test @ 40 kgf, 75ºC,
1200 rpm, 1 hr, scar diameter, mm (ASTM D-4172)
Total Base Number (ASTM D-2896)

Reading is fundamental:

Mobil 1 5W-20

New Formulation; upgraded to meet and/or exceed the latest ILSAC GF-5 industry standard.

Mobil 1 5W-20 is an advanced full synthetic motor oil designed to provide exceptional wear protection, cleaning power and overall performance.

Mobil 1 5W-30

New Formulation; upgraded to meet and/or exceed the latest ILSAC GF-5 industry standard.

Mobil 1 5W-30 is an advanced full synthetic motor oil designed to keep your engine running like new by providing exceptional wear protection, cleaning power and overall performance

Mobil 1 5W-30

Advanced Full Synthetic Engine Oil

Product Description

Mobil 1 5W-30 is an advanced full synthetic engine oil designed to keep your engine running like new by providing exceptional wear protection, cleaning power and overall performance. Mobil 1 5W-30 meets or exceeds the requirements of the industry's toughest standards and outperforms our conventional oils. Mobil 1 technology comes as standard equipment in many different vehicles, including select high-performance vehicles.

Features and Potential Benefits

Mobil 1 5W-30 is made with a proprietary blend of high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with a precisely balanced component system. The 5W-30 viscosity grade is one of the most recommended viscosity grades for new cars. Mobil 1 5W-30 is uniquely designed to help provide unsurpassed levels of performance, cleaning power and engine protection, while meeting the demanding ILSAC GF-5 performance standards.
FeaturesAdvantages and Potential Benefits Advanced Full synthetic formulaHelps prevent deposits and sludge build-up to enable long engine life
Excellent overall lubrication and wear protection performance for many driving styles Outstanding thermal and oxidation stabilityOutstanding performance during the maximum oil change interval recommended in a vehicle’s owners manual Enhanced frictional propertiesAids fuel economy Excellent low temperature capabilitiesQuick cold weather starting for ultra fast protection
Helps to extend engine life
Applications

Mobil 1 5W-30 is recommended for all types of modern vehicles, including high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline and diesel multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.
  • Mobil 1 5W-30 is general purpose engine oil for all types of cars
  • Mobil 1 5w-30 is not recommended for 2-Cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer.

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 5W-30 meets or exceeds the requirements of: ACEAA1/B1, A5/B5 APISN, SM, SL,SJ ILSACGF-5 FordWSS-M2C946-A

Mobil 1 5W-30 has the following builder approvals: General Motors Service Filldexos1™ (license number GB1A0915015) Honda / AcuraHTO-06

Mobil 1 5W-30 is recommended by ExxonMobil for use in applications requiring: FordWSS-M2C929-A General Motors4718M General Motors6094M
Typical Properties

Mobil 1 5W-30 SAE Grade5W-30 Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445)11.0 Viscosity, @ 40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445)61.7 Viscosity Index172 Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874)0.8 HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683)3.1 Pour Point, ºC (ASTM D97)-42 Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92)230 Density @15.6 ºC, mg/l (ASTM D4052)0.855
Health and Safety

Based on available information, this product is not expected to produce adverse effects on health when used for the intended application and the recommendations provided in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) are followed. MSDS's are available upon request through your sales contract office, or via the Internet. This product should not be used for purposes other than its intended use. If disposing of used product, take care to protect the environment.

Mobil , Mobil 1 and the Pegasus design are trademarks of Exxon Mobil Corporation, or one of its subsidiaries.
4-2011

Exxon Mobil Corporation
3225 Gallows Road
Fairfax, VA 22037

Mobil 1 5W-20

Advanced Full Synthetic Engine Oil

Product Description

Mobil 1 5W-20 is an advanced full synthetic engine oil designed to keep your engine running like new by providing exceptional wear protection, cleaning power and overall performance. Mobil 1 5W-20 meets or exceeds the requirements of the industry's toughest standards and outperforms conventional oils. Mobil 1 technology comes as standard equipment in many different vehicles, including select high-performance vehicles.

Features and Potential Benefits

Mobil 1 5W-20 is made with a proprietary blend of high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with a precisely balanced additive component system. The 5W-20 viscosity grade is recommended by ExxonMobil for use in many vehicles manufactured by Honda, Ford, and Chrysler. Mobil 1 5W-20 is uniquely designed to meet or exceed the requirements of the ILSAC GF-5 performance standard.
FeaturesAdvantages and Potential Benefits Advanced Full synthetic formulaHelps prevent deposits and sludge build-up to enable long engine life
Excellent overall lubrication and wear protection performance for many driving styles Outstanding thermal and oxidation stabilityOutstanding performance during the maximum oil change interval recommended in a vehicle’s owners manual. Superb viscosity control Enhanced frictional propertiesAids fuel economy Excellent low temperature capabilitiesQuick cold weather starting for ultra fast protection
Helps to extend engine life and reduce stress on starting system components
Applications

Mobil 1 5W-20 is suitable for use in all types of modern vehicles where this viscosity grade is recommended. This includes high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.

Mobil 1 5W-20 is a high-performance engine oil for all types of cars where this viscosity is recommended
  • Mobil 1 is not recommended for 2-Cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer.

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 5W-20 meets or exceeds the requirements of: ACEAA1/B1 APISN,SM,SL,SJ ILSACGF-5 FordWSS-M2C945-A

According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 5W-20 is of the following quality level: FordWSS-M2C930-A General MotorsGM 6094M APICF
Typical Properties

Mobil 1 5W-20 SAE Grade5W-20 Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445)8.9 Viscosity, @ 40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445)49.8 Viscosity Index160 Sulfated Ash, wt%, (ASTM D874)0.85 HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683)2.75 Pour Point, ºC (ASTM D97)-43 Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92)230 Density @15º C g/ml, (ASTM D4052)0.852
Health and Safety

Based on available information, this product is not expected to produce adverse effects on health when used for the intended application and the recommendations provided in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) are followed. MSDS's are available upon request through your sales contract office, or via the Internet. This product should not be used for purposes other than its intended use. If disposing of used product, take care to protect the environment.

Mobil , Mobil 1 and the Pegasus design are trademarks of Exxon Mobil Corporation, or one of its subsidiaries.
4-2011

Exxon Mobil Corporation
3225 Gallows Road
Fairfax, VA 22037

Last edited by 08JJ; 05-16-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:44 AM

So what you have is a mixture of just slightly above a 5W-20 mix, maybe 5W-22 ;-). As you are well aware that is a lower viscosity than GM recommends. Despite the cost, I would probably drain it and put in the right oil unless:

a). You are driving in very cool temperatures where engine heat is less of an issue.
AND
b). You don't mind a bit of a gamble with you engine's longevity

Since your profile says Houston, TX I'd recommend the drain & use for lawn mower option.

08JJ - Do you find it just a bit suspicious that the AMSoil performance data shows their products superior in every single test - every one. As an engineer that suggests either they are just that much smarter and better than the rest of the industry or that they pick their tests and data sets very carefully. Then again maybe I'm just a cynic.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:00 PM

Just for discussion sake, why can Ford and Chrysler vehicles us 5W20, but "we" can't. Are they put together that much tighter? I don't hear of those engines blowing up. Just curious.

Last edited by jayhawkhummer; 05-16-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-16-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by bflank
So what you have is a mixture of just slightly above a 5W-20 mix, maybe 5W-22 ;-). As you are well aware that is a lower viscosity than GM recommends. Despite the cost, I would probably drain it and put in the right oil unless:

a). You are driving in very cool temperatures where engine heat is less of an issue.
AND
b). You don't mind a bit of a gamble with you engine's longevity

Since your profile says Houston, TX I'd recommend the drain & use for lawn mower option.

08JJ - Do you find it just a bit suspicious that the AMSoil performance data shows their products superior in every single test - every one. As an engineer that suggests either they are just that much smarter and better than the rest of the industry or that they pick their tests and data sets very carefully. Then again maybe I'm just a cynic.

Not sure but why would EVERY motorsport choose Amsoil, Royal Purple & Mobile 1 over any other oil? I was a big fan of Castrol for years but somehow I get about 3 MPG better mileage out of the Amsoil & I think I will stay with it even though it cost significantly more. I tried Mobile 1 and still get better mileage with the Amsoil...just a preference on my end. Hard to post studies that are not true and I compared both products and they are closely knit.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:28 PM

I will preface this by saying I am not an expert nor do I pretend to be. My answer is based soley on OPINION.

In your situation, I would not worry about it anymore than what was mentioned before; keep an eye on the temp gauge a little more. No I wouldn't use 5-20 for an extended period, or any other formulation, but as a 1 time occurance, whether intentional or unitentional, I wouldnt worry about it. If you were in the break-in period, no. If you were planning some serious offroading/road trip probably not. There was a time when they recommended 10-30 in the winter and 10-40 in the summer. Granted these are not the same engines but they aren't rocket ships either.
Blow your engine :lol

Old 05-16-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by 08JJ
Not sure but why would EVERY motorsport choose Amsoil, Royal Purple & Mobile 1 over any other oil? I was a big fan of Castrol for years but somehow I get about 3 MPG better mileage out of the Amsoil & I think I will stay with it even though it cost significantly more. I tried Mobile 1 and still get better mileage with the Amsoil...just a preference on my end. Hard to post studies that are not true and I compared both products and they are closely knit.
I never said that Amsoil wasn't good stuff or that their test were false. But it is possible to pick your tests and your data sets to show the best advantage to your product. The last time I looked at Amsoil tests they showed that Royal Purple was seriously bad stuff in comparison - not sure I'm buying. And BTW, I think that the endorsement of professional race teams is far more convincing than the Amsoil test data. Just my geeky take on it.

Quick Reply: So now what?