PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SO BAD HUMMER CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Default SO BAD HUMMER CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT

My vehicle is brand new; its not even at 5000 miles yet.
Every time i'm driving at slow speed, and after at least 15 minutes of driving, a clamping noise comes up.
It sounds as if a small metal box is inside a slightly bigger one and the smaller box keeps banging against the bigger box.
I can hear something clamping or banging under the vehicle. I also feel the clamp or banging on the gas pedal, when i rest my foot on it, and on the brake pad ,when i'm about to come to a stop.
Hummer service first told me that they could not pin point the problem. Then they said that this is common on all H3Xs. They also admitted to have never test drove the car for more then 3 minutes, which i specifically requested. They want me to wait until something brakes or gets worse.
Has anyone experienced this type of problem or have any idea of what this problem may be?
If so, what was the problem, and how was it fixed?
I'm open to any and all suggestions. PLEASE HELP [>:][/align]

Old 08-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Default RE: SO BAD HUMMER CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT

tHIS IS YOUR ANSWER!!!!

Subject: Clunk Or Knock Noise Heard And Felt Through The Steering Wheel Or Brake And Accelerator Pedals - keywords intermediate rattle shaft #PIT4448 - (06/27/2007)
Models: 2007 Hummer H3
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:
A clunk or knock noise is heard and felt through the steering wheel or brake and accelerator pedals, the cause is a slip/stick condition in the lower steering shaft. This is a temperature sensitive issue and usually requires the vehicle to have been driven for a period of time to increase under hood temperatures

Recommendation/Instructions:
Replace the lower steering shaft part no. 25776339. There is a high probability that replacing the shaft will correct the condition as there are only a small percentage of parts that exhibit this condition. This PI will be updated when a new part number becomes available.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

I got this message from PSYCHO at gmhummer.com
He seems to know what he is talking about. Even hummer agreed to that to that.

Problem is that the part has yet to be redesigned, so most likely the problem will comeback Dont worry, you can get it fixed for free.

[hr]
[/align]

Old 08-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Default it's happened twice to me

Check this out.
last year i got a Nissan X-terra and came out to be deffective. it had similar problems with the exception that the noise was a skweeky noise. Anyway, after four attempts at correcting the problem, I sued Nissan under the lemon law. Three months ago I got the hummer thinking: "if the military has these vehicles, they must be flawless". now I have this problem, AGAIN. ain't that some SH _ _!!!

Old 08-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Default RE: it's happened twice to me

ORIGINAL: gp1182

Check this out.
last year i got a Nissan X-terra and came out to be deffective. it had similar problems with the exception that the noise was a skweeky noise. Anyway, after four attempts at correcting the problem, I sued Nissan under the lemon law. Three months ago I got the hummer thinking: "if the military has these vehicles, they must be flawless". now I have this problem, AGAIN. ain't that some SH _ _!!!
Fix as posted will be viable in a few weeks, when parts become available. As for the military...they do not have the H3...

Old 08-07-2007, 04:55 PM

in reference to the military comment, I meant that GMC manufactures good Humvees for the military, which is the same company, with the same concept, that makes H3sfor civilians. its just on a smaller scale. Thanks anyway, you are right.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:04 PM

GM does NOT make HUMVEE's for the military, AM General does. AM General isthe commercialoff shoot of American Motors Corp. (AMC) who once made real Jeep's. GM builds HUMMERS under license from AM General. Our H2 and H3's are HUMMER versions or GMC trucks, many parts are interchangable. Having driven and basically lived in a real HUMVEE I can attest to them being tough, but they also beat me to death riding in them and rode worse than my CJ-5 ever thought of.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:42 PM

ORIGINAL: RealJeep

GM does NOT make HUMVEE's for the military (correct), AM General does (correct). AM General isthe commercialoff shoot of American Motors Corp. (AMC) who once made real Jeep's (just to clarify, AM General never made Jeeps, AMC did. AM general can trace their history to Kaiser Jeep, but with a different name. After Kaiser was purchased by AMC, they incorporated a new subsidiary called AM General that was incorporated to fulfill military contracts.Before Kaiser there was WillysOverlandand the Overland I believe came from a Bike Company) GM builds HUMMERS under license from AM General. (Actually, AM General basically builds the H2 in Indiana, while the H3 is built in Shrevesport, LA. by GM, but yes, GM licenses the Hummer name from AM General for the H3/H2 and GM used to market the H1 for AM General.) Our H2 and H3's are HUMMER versions or GMC trucks, many parts are interchangable.(Again to clarify...The only real parts the H3 shares with the Colorado/Canyon is the base side frame rails and a few crossmembers, for the H3, the ends are boxed and two more crossmembers added for strength. In addition, the H3does share the optional I-5 engine and transmissions with the C/C; however,bascially all other parts on the H3 areunique such as the T/case, front and rear axles, body parts, and naturallyinterior and exterior panels.)Having driven and basically lived in a real HUMVEE I can attest to them being tough, but they also beat me to death riding in them and rode worse than my CJ-5 ever thought of.
Just to clarify...

Old 08-08-2007, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the clarity and let those decide for themselves by researching the history of HUMMER and AM general. I've seen the AM General tag in more than a few 6x6 Army trucks. Did you also know AMC wanted to build Army trucks but the Gov't said no because of the foreign ownership of AMC by French auto maker Peugeot. So AM GEN spun off of AMC for is commercial, military line. So if you ever wonder how HUMMER got away with the 7 slat trademarked grille design of Jeep and why they resemble each other now you know. Jeep and HUMMER are cousins via American Motors Corp.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Default RE: AM or GMC

This is great guys. Thank you for educating me on Humvees and Hummers. fact is,sinceI saw Arnold Schwarzenegger driving them, I loved the damn thing.
But, I could not afford one. when the H2 came out, I got scared of the gas consumption. Then came the H3 which I have.
I'll do the H2 in 2008 or 2009, when the new law on making vehicles more gas efficient,kicks in.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Default RE: temperature sensors?

Hey guys, I have read on gmhummer.com that this also has to do with temperature sensors. One member said to have aleady gotten the lower shaft replaced and the problem is still there. Any ideas, I'm stil waiting for my ordered piece and I dont wanna hear that. Should I also ask to replace these temperature sensors?

Quick Reply: SO BAD HUMMER CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT