PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side View Mirror Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 02:35 PM
Default Side View Mirror Questions

I have a few questions Im currently Driving an 2003 Hummer H2

Questions and Thanks in Advance

1.) My driver side side view mirror stopped allowing me to control the class left to right or up and down (Passenger Side works Perfectly) The auto lowering when you put the truck in reverse works for passenger but not driver (IM GUESSING that the motor in the driver side is shot SOOO)
CAN I get the nicer 06 or 07 mirrors that actually say hummer on the back of the side view to replace both of these or will they not fit.

2.) I have never seen or know of any button that allows for my windows to fold in automatically I have read a lot about this but not sure if mine can if they used to and are broken. OR if i just don't know where the button is so that would also be helpful.

Thanks in advanced. -Sam-

Old 02-27-2014, 03:08 PM

Don't know about #1. To fold the mirrors in on my '06, I put the driver/passenger rocker switch in the middle then "adjust" the mirrors right or left to fold the mirrors in/out.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:42 PM

Skeptic is correct. Mine is an 04 and the folding mirrors work the same way. HOWEVER, when I bought mine, the pivot point on the folding arm was so rusted and corroded, they would not fold. About 3 hours later after removing the mirrors...yes you have to remove the door panels, and then removing the drive mechanism... I saw exactly what was all rusted.

took everything apart, removed the rust, greased it up, put back together and it all works perfect. But it was fairly labor intensive. But for the cost of even a used set of mirrors, it was worth my time to try and fix them. They work great now and I can get in the garage so much easier now.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Samuel Icon Moskaluk
I have a few questions Im currently Driving an 2003 Hummer H2

Questions and Thanks in Advance

1.) My driver side side view mirror stopped allowing me to control the class left to right or up and down (Passenger Side works Perfectly) The auto lowering when you put the truck in reverse works for passenger but not driver (IM GUESSING that the motor in the driver side is shot SOOO)
CAN I get the nicer 06 or 07 mirrors that actually say hummer on the back of the side view to replace both of these or will they not fit.

2.) I have never seen or know of any button that allows for my windows to fold in automatically I have read a lot about this but not sure if mine can if they used to and are broken. OR if i just don't know where the button is so that would also be helpful.

Thanks in advanced. -Sam-
Your answer to question #1 is no. The wiring between the older model H2's and the newer model H2's are different. This question has been asked before on this and other hummer forums many times. I understand having a older model H2 and wishing to convert but for some reason, GM decided to make a few changes to the wiring.

You might be better off either cleaning the motor in your mirror out or try looking on eBay for a replacement one.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:12 AM

06 mirrors will work just fine on your 03. I did the swap on mine and it was painless except buying the mirrors. They were $450 each and that was about 6 years ago.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:15 AM

Calif and Fyr which one of your thinks they have a better answer. Cause yes looks like about 750-1000 bucks for a new pair of new mirrors. And I would smack my head against a wall if I get the newer ones pull off the door panels remove the older ones and then they done fit.

Thanks -Sam-

Old 02-28-2014, 10:22 AM

Sam,

I have an '07 H2, with that in mind, I have the newer style mirrors. I have seen others ask the same question that you are asking if you can switch since yours is an '03 model. In reading previous posts on this very same topic, the harness wiring was slightly different in the newer models from the older ones. I believe that some of the H2's (depending upon the edition) had the heater mirror option (luxury edition in newer H2's) that added a few additional wires to the harness that the older models may not have had.

I guess if it were me and the the cost of replacing both for the newer type mirrors was not feasible, I would try looking at the motors first to see if you can repair them. This might work out and if possible save you some $$ unless you are really determined to get the newer mirrors. But again, the mounting of the newer style mirrors isn't the problem, it would be the wiring ! You may end up having to do some splicing or adaptations to the connector so they will work correctly all depending on the model edition you have in your '03. (there are 3 levels......base, adventure, or luxury)

Another possible option might be to go on eBay and find just the mirror motors and simply get them and change out the motors!! I did see a few on there that had just the bases on them but no mirror itself. The base unit with the motor and the wiring harness was all there. This could also be a more feasible financial option for you to consider.

Now, Calif Phil says he was able to switch his mirrors out just fine. But he doesn't say in his post what year HIS H2 is. ( I am assuming he also has an '03 and used '06 mirrors) but at least he had success with his mod. If so, then your main focus would be on trying to find a new style mirror set that would fit within your budget rather then to try and repair what you have now.

Decision time: Its either stay with what you currently have and attempt to repair them, OR (if you really gotta have them) spend the $$ and get the newer mirror style and be ready to possibly work on the wiring so they work right.

Last edited by fyr145; 02-28-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:39 PM

I had a 2003 Luxury with heated mirrors. My left mirror went bad and I bought two new mirrors from my local Chevy dealer as the only mirrors they had available was the 2006 and up mirrors. So I had to buy a pair and I installed them myself with no problem or modifications. I sold my one good mirror on ebay. I have since traded my 2003 for a 2006 and the mirrors on it work just fine.