PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping for Brakes... Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 12:38 PM
Default Shopping for Brakes... Advice needed

Hey all-- it's been a while since I've posted... I'm curious of the collective opinion from Hummer community.

I need new brakes. I am planning to replace both rotors and pads.

I've read multiple reviews on EBC and Power Stop. Which one you prefer/suggest.
All input is always accepted and weighed.

Here is the links:
Power Stop: Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit - Rotors & Pads - FREE SHIPPING!
EBC Sports: EBC Sport Rotors - SHIPS FREE - AutoAnything

Old 05-31-2017, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Neither. You are replacing brakes on a 5000# brick, which for a GM vehicle, has substantial brake size (rotors and calipers) and strength from the factory.

Slotted cross drilled rotors on a Hummer is not desirable, and unless you are track road racing, does nothing for you except chew the living Doo Doo out of the pads. Brake heat fade on a street vehicle is nominal.

If you do off road it, you do not want mud-n-crud in the holes which will contribute to brake wear.

How many miles did you get out of the stock ACDelco brakes? I have 305 MTZs and saw 55K + out of the front, and almost 68K out of the rears which still had some minimal life left when changed. With slotted rotors, you'd be lucky to get about half that out of some "hard" pads.

IMHO, ACDelco pads and rotors are the way to go, price on line is cheap for dependable brake life and function.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Neither. You are replacing brakes on a 5000# brick, which for a GM vehicle, has substantial brake size (rotors and calipers) and strength from the factory.

Slotted cross drilled rotors on a Hummer is not desirable, and unless you are track road racing, does nothing for you except chew the living Doo Doo out of the pads. Brake heat fade on a street vehicle is nominal.

If you do off road it, you do not want mud-n-crud in the holes which will contribute to brake wear.

How many miles did you get out of the stock ACDelco brakes? I have 305 MTZs and saw 55K + out of the front, and almost 68K out of the rears which still had some minimal life left when changed. With slotted rotors, you'd be lucky to get about half that out of some "hard" pads.

IMHO, ACDelco pads and rotors are the way to go, price on line is cheap for dependable brake life and function.
Thank you Jeff.

I am running 315s with odometer at 96k+. I just wanted more stopping power. I am not sure when previous owner had them replaced.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:19 PM

Doc said it all AC Delco they last longer then many others.
I have learned this the hard way, Auto parts store pads with life time warranty's Are junk and you will be changing pads every year along with the rotors.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:56 PM

I have tried diff pads and the only pads that offer the same life and maybe better stopping power are Hawk LTS pads. I liked them so much on the H3 (315/75R16s) I just installed a set on the H3T (37x12.5R16s).

Last edited by TAINTER; 05-31-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by woodwardsh3
Doc said it all AC Delco they last longer then many others.
I have learned this the hard way, Auto parts store pads with life time warranty's Are junk and you will be changing pads every year along with the rotors.
found this:,,,
http://www.autozone.com/landing/page...uralast-brakes

maybe only good at 200 mph+ huh!

there all i use, work fine

Last edited by happythree; 05-31-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:34 PM
Old 06-03-2017, 12:02 PM

I use AC Delco stock pads and get great life out of them .

Old 06-06-2017, 02:29 PM

Shopping is done and thanks to Amazon, got all the parts today. Waiting for rear rotors from CarID.

Planning to install them in weekend. Very excited as this is going to my first install of rotors + pads + shocks. Any tips before I start this project...?

Old 06-07-2017, 09:59 AM

First time.

Do one side then the other so you can reference the still assembled side if you need to. Take lots of photos of small items like cotter pin locations and the direction the OEM bolts, pins, etc. go. Clean EVERYTHING and EVERY MATING surface with a wire brush so you can have a smooth surface for the new rotors.

Good Luck!

Good luck, hardest part should be separating the rusty rotor from the hub.

Quick Reply: Shopping for Brakes... Advice needed