PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Default Service

Hello everyone,
I am the owner of a 2003 Hummer H2 in which I just rolled over 104,000 miles. The reason for this post is concerning the 90,000 maintenance on the Hummer H2. I was having issues with the rear suspension falling when turned off, making the vehicle look like a low rider on the rear end. Anyway the hooked it up to the computer and tried to diagnose if it was a suspension leak or something else. While connected it was determined that the front axel was leaking and the water pump has a leak . I realize these are both necessary fixes, but is the 90,000 maintenance worth doing while in the shop? This covers replacing the front breaks, cleaning the injectors, all the transfer case oil changed, transmission fluid, break fluid and power steering fluid. They quoted me 1800.00. 800.00 for the repair of the water pump and front axel, but is the 90,000 maintenance really worth the cost?

On the upside, my hummer has been virtually maintenance free, except for the transmission went out at 40,000 miles, just after the factory warranty ended of course. What are your opinions about this procedure, should I have it done or not?

Old 03-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Service

That sounds to me like a ripoff....

but I think that is just the going rate....

I've done all of that stuff myself... expect for the axle seal replaced under warranty.

OEM Water Pump is around $250
Rotors and Carbon Ceramic brakes around $450 (all 4) Napa
Axle seal is about $25
Synthetic fluid for all the entiretruck is another $250 depending on where you get it....

I replaced all of my fluids at 60,000 miles... I've never been one to follow the book to the letter...

Old 03-27-2008, 02:05 PM

Muddy, at what mileage did you replace your brakes? Did you drilled and slotted Rotors?

Old 03-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

I replaced my brakes at 58,000 miles...

I just got plain old rotors and carbon ceramic pads from Napa....

Old 03-27-2008, 07:26 PM

BIG RIPOFF!

Injectors NEVER have to be cleaned, unless you are using poor gas (not top tier supplier). Top tier gas has cleaners in it that do this everytime you fill the tank.

Brakes need to be done when they are worn out. There IS NOT SPECIFIC MILEAGE that they should be done at. Inspected, yes. Replaced, no.

PS fluid never needs changing on most vehicles.

T-case, tranny and diff fluids should be changed (especially brake fluid) on recommended intervals. Make sure they change filter or clean screen on tranny by dropping the pan. Not just a flush. Recommend you change screen/filter since it is cheap to do. Clean metal shavings off Diff and tranny magnets too.

T-case is easy to do yourself, since it has fill and drain plugs and no filters. Watch out for recommended fluids. I always use dealer supplied fluids to avoid cross-contamination and incompatability issues.

You are set. If you have not done fluid changes before now with 104k miles, SHAME ON YOU!