PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam Motor Treatment???

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Default Seafoam Motor Treatment???

Seafoam motor treatment? Has anyone used this stuff? And if so what do you think? There are a lot of people on the web who say it work great and I was hard pressed to find a bad review. Also if you have used it on your H3, in what manner did you use it?

Also does anyone know what the best way is to get it directly into the engine/throttle body? They suggest the brake booster line (which we don't have) or PCV valve. Where is the PCV valve on an H3 anyway? Anybody know? I'm thinking just to poor the stuff in to the air intake after the MAS. Any advice would be helpful thanks.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Seafoam Motor Treatment???

Snake oil!
GM does not recommend any motor oil treatment, fuel additives, or motor treatment of any kind.
Great marketing ploys though.

Whatever you do, I wouldNOT pour it in the intake anywhere at idle, you will create a mess. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:48 AM

I too have read great reviews of this product.

However I believe it mainly benefits engines with a great deal of carbon build up, so I doubt you would see any type of improvement after it's use.

As well, I thought you ran it in your oil for just a few minutes right before you change it.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:28 PM

if its the same stuff I'm thinking of I use it every year in my outboard on my boat. clenas the carbon up real nice....absolutely not needed in your truck.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:30 PM

How Many miles on your H3 #1, Have you changed your Oil regularly #2, Do you use a petroleum Base Oil or Synthetic #3. If you do all this you don't need that Seafoam stuff.

It makes a good parts cleaner.

Your vehicle is too new to use this, unless you have used crappy gas and never changed the oil in 50k miles.

Your PCV is on the right back side of the engine when facing it from the front. Follow the 1/2"
tube from the resonator.

If you never used it before and you think it will help your engine Don't use it. Not so much Snake oil as an elixir.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:46 PM

I wouldn't use it in a new vehicle but have used it in my old Jeep and do use it in my tractor regularly. Race car guys swear by it and a bunch of gear heads I know do too. I have used the PCV to draw it in but any good vacuum source will work. I have used it in the crankcase and gasoline too. It's good stuff without a doubt.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:06 PM

SeaFoam is the best stuff you can get period. No need for use in a new vehicle but it works great on old diesels, lawnmowers, boats etc.... (it was originally designed/marketed for Marine Diesel applications...that's where the name came from). I prep my riding mower at the beginning of each season with this stuff and it runs better than new. I personally wouldn't use it in the oil..especially of an old vehicle because it will loosen up sludge that will then clog the lifter galleys...however it is freakin' awesome used in a carbureator or mixing it in the fuel for a diesel.