PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough idle p0304

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 10:46 AM

I know it's tough giving up that 2016 Snap-On girlie calendar.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Wyatt Wackerlin
First off to the guy who first posted this when you tighten down your bolts to your intake manifold and and a few days later the code came back well when your valve cover blows out oil you dont tighten the bolts more thinking the gasket will hold up you "replace" the "GASKET" to "Fix" the problem because once a gasket starts to leak or has been exsposed its been compromised meaning its junk and time for a new one .If your engine light is on solid its not to bad but if its blinking then you have bigger problems and what I mean is if its solid theres a 2 second difference in the timing and if its flashing theres a 10 second difference in the timing. And dont listen to "TAINTER" when he said " YOU HAVE TO USE ACDELCO OR IT WONT WORK" because I dont use nothing but "BOSCH" in my hummer h3 and ACDELCO is JUNK to me and ive been a mechanic for over 13 years and now my story I had this code come up and looked into it and the first step I did was flip flopped all the coils and still the engine light was on replacd spark plugs still the light was on then I replaced the throttle body still the light was on then the mass air flow sensor still the light was on and then I checked the INTAKE MANIFOLD bolts to see if any where loose and sure as hell there was one loose and I took off the manifold and put a new FELPRO GASKET in and my engine light went bye bye
Hey Wackernut, I would love for you to show me where you quoted me from. Never posted that other plugs won't work. I posted that the I5 doesn't like other plugs. Seems like the may be some reading comprehension issues lurking.

Originally Posted by TAINTER
The only way to know if it is the valves is to do a pressure leak down test.

-If the manifold bolts are not tight (again) that will also cause the same codes again.
-Clean the TB (front and back).
-ACDelco plugs only. The I5 is a very picky motor when it comes to plugs.
-swap the coil from cylinder #4 to #1 and vice-versa. Clear the old codes and see if the code changes cylinders. If it does then you know that you have a bad coil still.

Let us know if any of this helped.

Last edited by TAINTER; 04-14-2017 at 02:39 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Wyatt Wackerlin
First off to the guy who first posted this when you tighten down your bolts to your intake manifold and and a few days later the code came back well when your valve cover blows out oil you dont tighten the bolts more thinking the gasket will hold up you "replace" the "GASKET" to "Fix" the problem because once a gasket starts to leak or has been exsposed its been compromised meaning its junk and time for a new one .If your engine light is on solid its not to bad but if its blinking then you have bigger problems and what I mean is if its solid theres a 2 second difference in the timing and if its flashing theres a 10 second difference in the timing. And dont listen to "TAINTER" when he said " YOU HAVE TO USE ACDELCO OR IT WONT WORK" because I dont use nothing but "BOSCH" in my hummer h3 and ACDELCO is JUNK to me and ive been a mechanic for over 13 years and now my story I had this code come up and looked into it and the first step I did was flip flopped all the coils and still the engine light was on replacd spark plugs still the light was on then I replaced the throttle body still the light was on then the mass air flow sensor still the light was on and then I checked the INTAKE MANIFOLD bolts to see if any where loose and sure as hell there was one loose and I took off the manifold and put a new FELPRO GASKET in and my engine light went bye bye
13 years as a mechanic and you still throw parts (coils, plugs, throttle body, maf sensor) at a repair?

"If you throw enough shlt against a wall, some of it has gotta stick."

Btw, do some research on the manufacturers of AcDelco parts for your rig.

Live and Learn.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:27 PM

I have to admit there was some good burns from a few of you guys where I had to laugh a bit and yeah I replaced my spark plugs because the one in cylinder 4 was cracked threw on both sides and I replaced my maf and tb because of high idleing problems and after replace the idle was fine but the olny thing that threw me was the intake but with all ******** aside this form is very helpful and for the live and learn dont buy a vehicle with the i5 and ill just stick with my jeeps

Old 04-21-2017, 09:04 PM

dont buy a vehicle with the i5 and ill just stick with my jeeps
my h3, i5, 70000 miles. did radiator and water pump. nuttin else!
got jeep too,their forum is full of repairs but most are high miles,got mine at 168000,2000, runs good but waiting for the 331 head to crack!!
they all have issues at some point.

hummer, like nothing else!