PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rockford Fosgate 2004 H2

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Default Rockford Fosgate 2004 H2

I read on here about some people having problems when they upgraded to the Rockford system.

I bought one on EBAY for $250.00 I thought for that price I'll try it.

I hooked it up and what do you know the bass was overwhelming at low volumes. I am not a wiring expert however it was obvious that the amp was getting a fixed level input. Meaning that the volume and bass controls did not change the input to the amplifier.

I started to do some thinking. I could either hook the wires up to left and right speaker wires coming out of the amplifier or I could hook it up to the factory subwoofer in the dash. I decided that Bose does a pretty good job with their crossover and equalizer, so I hooked it up there. The subwoofer is in the center console under the onstar module. You can access it from the passenger side. You have to remove the glove box and the dash that surrounds it.

Technical Data:

Rockford wires were simple black striped wires were negatives.
Bose wires Red was hot on one side and red stripe was hot on the other.

Also I wired in a toggle switch to the power wire on the Rockford wire harness. Helps with new baby in the car and if I just get tired of the thumping. On the cool side it really lets you compare before and after the subwoofer install. The wire needs to be the same size as your power wire and the switch needs to be a high quality one. For informational purposes only "Because I thought I would burn out the switch" I only had a SPST micro circuit board switch from Radio Shack and so far it is working without getting hot.

Hooked up this way the bass is clean and there is no mid level bass ie horrible growl when a man is talking or singing on the radio. Bose does a great job balancing out the sound and determining when the subwoofer needs to be working.

I would suggest this for anyone, not only did it fix the problem with the wiring with the 2004 H2 it made the entire system sound much better.

I'll take some pictures and post them up when I get a chance. If anyone is interested I can do a quick write up.

Enjoy,
Earl

Old 06-09-2010, 09:22 PM

I bought that $250 ebay Rockford kit for my 2006 and it was plug and play with no side effects like you describe. It's not a BOOM BOOM sound like those pesky teenagers have it's just a nice addition to the factory stereo.