PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace OnStar module by BLUESTAR

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Default Replace OnStar module by BLUESTAR

Hello,
Does someone have any experience of removing the default OnStar module and replace it by the Costar BLUESTAR bluetooth module in a early H2 model 2003 ?
In advance thank you very much.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:36 PM

No experience with the H2, but I installed my bluestar in about 4 minutes and it works perfectly. I did a google search and knew everything I needed before starting the project.... Mainly where it was located and how to pop the center control panel in 10 seconds.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:11 PM

Thank you TDavis for your reply.
I have no doubt that the BLUESTAR should work in the 2003 H2, but I don't know if we can disassemble the OnStar front panel on which there are the 3 buttons from the OnStar module.
Because I already disassembled the vehicle's console and noticed that the buttons are directly attached to the OnStar module without any wire to disconnect.
So has someone already remove the buttons module from the OnStar module ?
If yes, where are the wires that connect the two modules located ? I haven't seen them...
In advance thank you very much.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:30 PM

Lionel, not sure which wires you are looking at but my onstar buttons are located in the rear view mirror assembly. Those are left in place to control phone functions as I'm guessing your are also. Did a little Googling and found this. Hope it is of some help.
http://www.costartech.com/pb/Vehicle...0H2%202003.pdf

Old 07-30-2013, 06:43 PM

Here is another good thread.
BlueStar install w/pics - Hummer Forums by Elcova
I see that your onstar controls are on the lower front console. Not sure, but wouldn't think you would need to make changes there. My install was a basic unplug and plug in.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:21 PM

The control wires here send network type signals to other devices so by placing it on the GMLAN bus you don't have to do a lot of "rewiring". It should just be a literal plug and play when the system starts up it will send out a presence detect and everyone replies with an im here and one of those will be the new bluestar module. Then the system will talk to it and treat it as if it was an onstar module.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:42 AM

Thanks a lot TDavis for the links, and Pauldy for the explanation.
According to the pictures we don't need to completely remove the OnStar module from the vehicle, but just unplug the 2 white plugs from the OnStar to plug on the new BlueStar. Right ?
But in this case, how the buttons in front of the OnStar module work with the BlueStar module (to make/answer/end a call, etc.) ?
Does we need to disassemble the buttons front panel from the OnStar module ? Because in the 2003 Hummer H2, this front panel is physically connected/attached to the OnStar...
Thanks again for your help.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:57 AM

I know the steering wheel control is integrated into the gmlan so maybe the buttons are as well and what you are removing are the control lines for the onstar radio module and not the button panel. Ultimately I don't know for sure however as when I looked into this I decided that 300 for blue tooth, 200 for a map update and 500 for a backup camera gets me a brand new faster head unit with more features.