PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove Muffler and go Straight Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Default Remove Muffler and go Straight Pipe?

Has anyone done this or have a sound clip. I would like to remove my muffler and just have a straight pipe from the cat back. Will this make too much sound? Ruin any performance or give me long term problems?
I had a Silverado took the muffler off and welded a glasspack in and it sounded awesome. Would that be another way to go with the H2?

Old 12-17-2009, 08:00 AM

I have a video in the sights and sounds forum with a borla cat back pipe. Corsca offers a discount on this site as well. Both are great.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fennsz
Has anyone done this or have a sound clip. I would like to remove my muffler and just have a straight pipe from the cat back. Will this make too much sound? Ruin any performance or give me long term problems?
I had a Silverado took the muffler off and welded a glasspack in and it sounded awesome. Would that be another way to go with the H2?
Yes this would make it too loud, way too loud. It would never get remotely quiet at cruising. Plus you wouldnt pass emissions.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:44 PM

check on youtube theres a guy that has the strait pipe with 2 double tip way too loud but sounds hot

Old 01-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Default YouTube Vid

New guy here. My first post. I bought an 05 H2 day before yesterday. Im no stranger to LQ4s. My 02 Sierra has an LQ4. As a matter a fact, I'll be installing those Edelbrock shorties I replaced with LTs on the H2. I'll keep the cats for now. But since this is my wife's vehicle, I know she wants a LOUD muffler. Something that says Im here get out the way. I have a Magnaflow too in the garage that I know she'll hate cause it's too quiet. FlowMaster well come on, has a resonator before the muffler and they restrict. BORLA and CORSA well thats just a name thats worth $$$$. Pro~Flo didn't convince me. So... if anyone has this vid that I could find of the H2 with straight pipe after cats please provide link. I found the AirRaid intake cheap already too. Emissions it's an issue. I can get it no questions asked. I'll search on here for ideas but so far I haven't read anything on the right exhaust note. I want better performance out of the beast. We know she's a gas guzzler we have the truck and when I slap the pedal that gas needle sure drops fast. So Im looking for the loudest cleanest and sickest exhaust tone for better performance and improved milage is it does great if not oh well. We love it the beast.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by medic/z28
New guy here. My first post. I bought an 05 H2 day before yesterday. Im no stranger to LQ4s. My 02 Sierra has an LQ4. As a matter a fact, I'll be installing those Edelbrock shorties I replaced with LTs on the H2. I'll keep the cats for now. But since this is my wife's vehicle, I know she wants a LOUD muffler. Something that says Im here get out the way. I have a Magnaflow too in the garage that I know she'll hate cause it's too quiet. FlowMaster well come on, has a resonator before the muffler and they restrict. BORLA and CORSA well thats just a name thats worth $$$$. Pro~Flo didn't convince me. So... if anyone has this vid that I could find of the H2 with straight pipe after cats please provide link. I found the AirRaid intake cheap already too. Emissions it's an issue. I can get it no questions asked. I'll search on here for ideas but so far I haven't read anything on the right exhaust note. I want better performance out of the beast. We know she's a gas guzzler we have the truck and when I slap the pedal that gas needle sure drops fast. So Im looking for the loudest cleanest and sickest exhaust tone for better performance and improved milage is it does great if not oh well. We love it the beast.
If emissions isn't an issue then take the cats off, port and polish the heads and add a camshaft. Don't forget the Throttle body. Remember, it's not only the emissions test you have to pass, but the test you have to perform when a cop pulls you over and he takes a little peek under your hood. Remember to have a good story why your truck is breaking city ordnance for excessive sound. Maybe that's not an issue with you, I don't know.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:32 AM

Breaking city ordinance is a bunch of bull. Anyone that rides a Harley does that everyday. Loud Exhaust saves lives. The louder the better.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Fennsz
Breaking city ordinance is a bunch of bull. Anyone that rides a Harley does that everyday. Loud Exhaust saves lives. The louder the better.
Two cylinder 1800cc twin Harley

8 cylinder 364 cubic inch V8. Do the math. In California there is this law and other states as well, so it's not bull.

Look it up yourself instead of calling me a liar.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:47 PM

No noise ordinance where I live. I doubt I'll do p&p LS6 heads or drop a cam in it. I'm keeping it simple. Full exhaust might remove cats or gut out. My wife hated my 2000 Z28 when I did heads, exhaust and cam. I wanted a choppy lopey cam and she hated it. Just need a good sounding muffler.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:48 AM

Besides I don't think he's calling you a liar. I think he's just voicing his opinion on choppers & motorcycles. Motorcycles aren't loud until you add cams, hyperchargers, and change out pipes. But that is a good point. Cops don't pull over motorcycle riders for their noisey rides! Anyways, in the San Antonio area and pretty much all off Texas where I've been noise ordinance is really not an issue.

Quick Reply: Remove Muffler and go Straight Pipe?