PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

recent project info

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Default recent project info

Hey guys. Got some info that might help some of you. I have a 1997.5 wagon TBD. I bought it with about 75k on it. Not more then 1 week after I got it, i started having some fueling issues. Not the normal hard starting, lack of power, or cutting off going down the road. No, mine was totally differant. I had a problem with too much fuel once i got up to about 45. then it started getting worse. it eventually got dangerous to drive because it was either full throttle or idle. It also had a very rough and irradic(spelling) idle so i did some research and everything pointed to a bad pump mounted driver (PMD). I did some looking around and sent some questions to Walt at SS Diesel Supply(www.ssdieselsupply.com) with my symptoms and he agreed that it sounded like a bad PMD. So i spent $400 on their new PMD and HeatSink kit. hooked it up and it was the same problem. So next i pulled the injector pump. BTW you can do that without removing the cooling pack. I found this out after it was too late. You will just need a mirror to help in getting the pump timing gear bolt lined up. Replaced the pump and also replaced all the intake gaskets. They are some really good people up there. Walt hooked me up with a bit of a break on the pump since i just spent 400 on the PMD. I HIGHLY reccommend them!! well as i was in the motor anyways i decided to look at the oil leak on the back top of the motor. turns out it was comking from the turbo. So i removed it and split the compressor side apart. as i was afraid of, the turbo was passing oil. Luckily, the impellers and impeller shaft were all still good and tight. New turbos are anywhere from 600-1400 depending on where you buy from. After some research i found rebuild kits for the standard GM-6 turbo. only $92 from the The G-Pop Shop(www.gpopshop.com) rebuilt it and everything is perfect. went ahead and replaced the waterpump, thermostat, all hoses, and all filters while i was at it. so, I should be good for a while on that type of stuff. If you have any questions about my symptoms hit me up on here and ill give you some details. This was a long drawn out process of tracking this stuff down myself. Def. a learning experience!!