PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Tire Carrier Removal and License Plate Pocket

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 12:01 PM
Default Rear Tire Carrier Removal and License Plate Pocket

Those who have removed their rear tire carriers and installed the factory license plate pocket on the rear hatch, is the harness in the hatch for the lights to plug into or do they have to be wired from say the clearance lights??

I'm sick of my tire carrier, it's in the way more than useful so I'm going to pull it off and just throw a good compressor in the back and a plug kit.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-18-2017, 02:17 PM

Mine came with the inside spare but I went with the same plan. Plug kit plus compressor (mine has the on board compressor). The inside spare is nearly as bad as it takes up a massive amount of space in the back and blocks a lot of your view out the rear view mirror. You will also gain more rear view without the outside spare too. Eventually I want to add a roof rack and will keep the spare up there (getting it up and down from there will not be fun).

I've read threads on others that have changed it though and I'm pretty sure they said theirs was not wired for the license plate light but simple to just tie into a clearance light.

I'll try to remember to take a pic of mine where I added two stainless low profile screws behind the handle to reinforce the pocket where it gets stressed and will tend to crack over time.... there are even two holes in the metal behind the pocket where I installed them and it makes it much more solid in that spot.

Last edited by MixManSC; 07-18-2017 at 02:20 PM.