PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Rear locker engages but doesn't actually spin the rear tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:06 PM
Default Rear locker engages but doesn't actually spin the rear tires

I took the H3 Offroad for the first time today and everything ran fine. 4 hi lock was fine and 4Lo was fine. I decided to take a hill covered in sand and rocks in 4Lo WITH the rear locker turned on (the light was on and solid) I barely even got a little way up the hill. I thought it was odd so I backed down and tried again and the same thing happened. Earlier in the day I did go up a steep hill in 4Lo WITHOUT using the rear locker and everything was fine. My buddies were at the bottom of the hill and said when I was stuck my front wheels were spinning but my rear wheels were not moving at all.

The H3 has 94k on it so I'm thinking the rear differential fluid has never been changed and I'm hoping if I change it the rear diff will lock.

Any opinions?

Old 10-01-2014, 11:59 PM

If the rear wheels were not moving may be transfer case?

Chris

Old 10-02-2014, 12:22 AM

fluid?, the locker is electric/mechanical not fluid driven.
are you sure the tc locked in 4hi lock? even so the rear should be activated open or tc lock?
if rear lock isnt locking the rear should still go in open diff mode.
it would be hard for the rear shaft not to be driven in the tc.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:41 AM

Good point on the fluid driven part I didn't think of that. Yeah 4 wheel drive operated normal in all conditions. 4 hi lock and 4Lo lock all worked flawless. You could here it engage in 4Lo. Went up hills and everything using both hi and lo. When it came to the locker is where the problem happened. I'm planning on changing transfer case fluid and diff fluid this weekend when I'm off.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:19 PM

IF the actual locker assm is not good the diff should still work as an open diff like in 4 hi/ 4hi lock without the locker. i guess.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:37 PM

Planning on changing front and rear diff fluid and transfer case fluid this weekend. Once I get the diff cover off I will be able to see what's going on. Hoping maybe I just need to change fluid in the T case.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:54 PM

Hoping maybe I just need to change fluid in the T case.
yeah, the fluid in the t case has nothing to do with the locker in the diff huh

Old 10-04-2014, 09:15 PM

Changed all my fluids. Haven't had it off road yet though so not sure if anything changed. I have a question though about the rear locker. I've never seen the inside of the diff on a vehicle without the electric locker but when I looked inside it doesn't appear to be any different then a regular open differential. Anyone care to elaborate on how are differentials work?

Old 10-06-2014, 06:34 AM
rsc
Old 10-06-2014, 10:40 AM

great "video"! when i found it yrs ago i FINALLY understood!

Quick Reply: Rear locker engages but doesn't actually spin the rear tires