PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Rear headrest removal ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Default Rear headrest removal ?

Has anyone removed the rear headrests for better view out the back window and the ability to lay the back seats flat? I have been thinking of having an interior shop do this. Is this something that can be done failrly easily? If I could do that and figure out how to relocate the rear tire...I could actually see out the back window.....

Old 06-29-2009, 04:15 PM

We had the same issue. If you do it yourself its gonna be tough. We found out the hard way after pulling the seats and removing the covers(easy part), that the posts for the headrest are welded. First you will need to run a razor blade around the base of the foam( after you remove the covers), to allow that section to pull free.
Then use a cut off wheel to remove the steel support posts. After that, you will need to clip the stitching and trim out the section of the headrest to make the cover fit smoothly. Then hand stitch the cover to fit. You will need to get a bit of soft foam from the fabric store to fill and work things smoothly. It took me about three hours to do the job. I'm over six foot tall so my seat sits almost all the way back. Now I can fold my seats down without moving anything. With my tire on the roof rack, visibility is much improved!
If your not used to serious interior fabric mods, I suggest paying someone else to do it. As my photo shows, the top looks a tad uneven. I finally got it smoothed out after another thirty minutes of wiggle work on the covers. The auto guys may cut you a deal if you pull the seats, remove the trim and covers, then cut the headrests. If all they need do is smooth and foam out the top and re-stitch your covers you should save a bundle by comparison. Calling them first or stopping by the shop may be the best way to get a fair quote.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:33 PM

nice graffiti in the background there!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:01 AM

Sorry bout that, we patrol rough neighborhoods. Didn't notice till you said something.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:56 AM

If you would have left the headrests alone, they would have hidden the graffiti! LOL

Old 06-30-2009, 06:39 AM

Nice job but not for the novice!

Old 06-30-2009, 08:54 PM

Why not drive around with the seats down?

Old 06-30-2009, 10:28 PM

If your a tall person thats a hard option. The factory seats with the headrests force you to move the seats up a bunch. Sucks. I'm adding it to my hummer "better" list.

1. Removable rear seat headrests like the front seats.
2. Rear seats that fold down "level" without a hump ( like the Cherokee).
3. Add 1.25" interior width rear cab door space for a true 48" entry span (Drywall, plywood, Ect.)
4. Move the driver side door switches off the armrest.
5. Power rear window for haulin long stuff (like the 4runner).
6. better battery post terminals.
7. Stronger front diff.
8. refuse to sell an american name and excellent company like Hummer to a foreign buyer.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:46 AM

Interesting list. Looking at it, I have to agree with all you have there.
I understand the seat problem if you are tall. I am not six feet tall and the back seat does hit the front when I fold it down.

I am thinking that the rear headrests while in the raised position would help in a roll over situation. Obviously if the seats were in the folded down position they would not be of any help.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:20 AM

If I had to guess, Hummer design engineers took a Cherokee and said, "lets make a better Jeep". And they did! They just forgot most folks that buy the H3 are guys that do one or all of the following, Hunt, Work, Offroad, Hike or Camp, build stuff, haul crap, get dirty, or just likea great truck. It would have been nice if they made sure that cargo space would actually work for cargo! A lighter removable based rear seat may have solved most of our complaints.