PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A really dumb H3T grill question ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Default A really dumb H3T grill question ???

My dumb question:

I really dont like the chrome grill so Im wanting to get a body colored grill for my black 2010 H3T,,, all of the sources I have checked so far just list grills for H3's,,, so I have to ask,, the grills for the H3's and H3T's are the same right ?
All interchangeable ?

Not so dumb questions:

Easy or hard to change the grill myself,,,, or should I just take it to the dealer and let them do the change ?

Cheapest place to get a black H3T grill ?

What should I be selling (a fair asking price) for my take-off chrome grill on eBay when I sell it ?

Thanks in advance
Davyo

Old 05-27-2010, 07:30 PM

Not a dumb question at all....I recently took mine off and Line-X'ed it instead of trying to find a black or white grille. I believe it was just two screws on each side near the headlight and two screws from under the hood and it pops right out from the tabs. I remember seeing a link that had the process with pictures but it is pretty easy.

The grilles are the same on H3s and H3Ts.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by DirtyHarry
Not a dumb question at all....I recently took mine off and Line-X'ed it instead of trying to find a black or white grille. I believe it was just two screws on each side near the headlight and two screws from under the hood and it pops right out from the tabs. I remember seeing a link that had the process with pictures but it is pretty easy.

The grilles are the same on H3s and H3Ts.
Cool,,, thanks for the reply.

I did find that thread over on the H3 forum that "had" the pictures but the pictures were no longer up and showing,,,, bummer.

But now I do have a dumb question,,,, I have seen "Line-X" mentioned before but to honest Im not sure I know what "Line-X" is,,, I guess I thought it was a brand name of an aftermarket grill.

Line-X is ???

Thanks much in advance
Davyo

Old 05-27-2010, 08:24 PM

Line X is a brand of spray on bed-liner. It has a textured flat black finish. I could post some pics this weekend if helpful but I know quite a few others have pics posted already. I remember seeing someone who even Line X'ed the fenders (can't remember who that was).....

Harry

Old 05-27-2010, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by DirtyHarry
Line X is a brand of spray on bed-liner. It has a textured flat black finish. I could post some pics this weekend if helpful but I know quite a few others have pics posted already. I remember seeing someone who even Line X'ed the fenders (can't remember who that was).....

Harry
Ahhhh,,, thank you much for the explaination of Line-X.

I was considering painting my grill but now I find I am kinda leaning towards buying a black grill and ebay'ing my chrome grill,,, cheapest I have found a black grill for is $300.00,,, Im thinking that's the best price Im going to find,,,,, unless you or anyone else knows of a better price ?

Cheers
Davyo

Old 05-28-2010, 02:02 PM

It's way cheaper to have the chrome one painted. I took mine off with 6 screws and took it to a buddy and he already had the GM black and did it for nothing. I'm sure a reputable body shop would paint it black for you for less than $100. Just make sure they have factory spec colors.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by H3FT
It's way cheaper to have the chrome one painted. I took mine off with 6 screws and took it to a buddy and he already had the GM black and did it for nothing. I'm sure a reputable body shop would paint it black for you for less than $100. Just make sure they have factory spec colors.
Yes, that was also what I was going to do,,, but after calling a few body shops and gettting price quote's of over $250.00 and them also having my H3T for one to two days, Im better off just buying a black grill and eBaying the chrome one,,,,, Im sure I could find a body shop to do it less than $250.00 but would I really trust their work,,,,,, even Earl Schibs quoted me $250.00 and they are like the McDonnalds of auto painting.

Anyhow,,,, I just ordered a black grill today,,,, got for $300.00,,,,, if Im realy lucky, I'll get a good price for my chrome one on eBay.

Cheers
Davyo

Old 05-28-2010, 06:32 PM

I think it would be way cheaper to get it painted black then to get a whole new grill. i have also line-x my grill and brush guard totally up to you . Didnt spend near 300 bucks.. think about it man. you have a good grill wating to be preped and painted.

ote=davyo;224391]Ahhhh,,, thank you much for the explaination of Line-X.

I was considering painting my grill but now I find I am kinda leaning towards buying a black grill and ebay'ing my chrome grill,,, cheapest I have found a black grill for is $300.00,,, Im thinking that's the best price Im going to find,,,,, unless you or anyone else knows of a better price ?

Cheers
Davyo[/quote]

Old 05-29-2010, 04:02 AM

[QUOTE=fonzys06h3;224435]I think it would be way cheaper to get it painted black then to get a whole new grill. i have also line-x my grill and brush guard totally up to you . Didnt spend near 300 bucks.. think about it man. you have a good grill wating to be preped and painted}}

Yes,,, painting was an option but the way I figured it,,, I buy the grill for 300, pop off the old chrome grill, put on the new black grill,,, should take about a half hour to do the switch out,,,, take the chrome grill and sell it on eBay.

I have been tracking the sale's of take-off grills on eBay and have seen them sell for over $200.00,, that means if Im lucky enough to get $200.00 (or more) for my chrome grill,,,,,,, my new factory black grill could only cost me $100.00 or even less.

Not doing all the sanding and preping and painting and having the grill off my truck all day while I do the paint job is more than worth it.

Plus,, I dont have to worry about screwing up the paint job if I was to do it myself.

Cheers
Davyo

Last edited by davyo; 05-29-2010 at 04:05 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:55 PM

Just asking but when you line-x the grill, you just cleaned and then lay down the paint?

Quick Reply: A really dumb H3T grill question ???