Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   RCV Ultimate High Strength CV Joints? (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/rcv-ultimate-high-strength-cv-joints-25192/)

Paladine71 08-28-2011 01:11 AM

RCV Ultimate High Strength CV Joints?

Anyone have knowledge of this product?

RCV Ultimate High Strength CV Joints? Found them while browsing Trail Duty. Warrantied for life.

http://www.trailduty.com/product_inf...oducts_id=1086

DAGKANA 08-29-2011 10:02 AM

James last time I checked theyre a little pricey, 325.00 a pop means x4 for the inner and outer both sides... I know when they first came out there was talk of a group buy, I'd be down for that if we can get the $$$ down a little... im on my 4th set of OEM cv boots already... :(

Paladine71 08-29-2011 10:15 AM

Dan, good to hear from you again, bro. Yeah, they're definitely a little high in price, but I'm hearing that they're strong. Know anyone at Trail Duty?

SundownAudioNY 08-29-2011 10:17 AM

My thoughts on this are this, if you beef up the half shafts you are moving the "fuse" to the next weakest link (the front differential). If something’s going to break, I would rather it be a half shaft then a front diff. Its a lot cheaper to replace a half shaft then it is a whole front differential. Also with aftermarket (EMPI) half shafts available now, it is much cheaper to replace them. Aftermarket half shafts are cheap to replace ($80) and you can replace well over 20 of them for the price of just one front diff ($1800+).

SundownAudioNY 08-29-2011 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by DAGKANA (Post 258707)
James last time I checked theyre a little pricey, 325.00 a pop means x4 for the inner and outer both sides... I know when they first came out there was talk of a group buy, I'd be down for that if we can get the $$$ down a little... im on my 4th set of OEM cv boots already... :(

Are you just tearing/ripping the boots? RCV Performance also makes replacement CV boots for the H3.

Replacement CV Boot for Hummer H3
https://www.rcvperformance.com/store...151762b5e6100d
"If you are tired of tearing your Hummer H3 CV boots, then this is what you need. The RCV CV boot replacement for Hummer H3 is the best replacement boot available. These are perfect for high angle applications."

https://www.rcvperformance.com/store...151762b5e6100d

beitodesstrafe 08-29-2011 10:27 AM

That's always a tough call...

I'm in the same place with tie-rods: I'm looking to upgrade to the "bullet-proof" rods... of course if I get them and then work the hell out of my steering... it won't be the rods that break.

So do you let your truck break under less force, and have an easier repair job... Or do you upgrade so it hopefully won't break at all, but if it does... it REALLY sucks! :(

DAGKANA 08-29-2011 10:38 AM

James I dont know anyone at TD other than Tomp has done buisness w/ him... however I sent out a feeler to RCV just now see if we can by pass the middle man so to speak...

Sundown you make a good point. Ive done both though. Im on my third set of half shafts. Second diff. And 4th CV boot... Im toying w/ ideas until someone gets the solid axle swap into a more affordable price range... that and Stan gets a week off from work so we can go to town ripping my H3 apart before my second baby comes...

Jake your mind set is the same as mine and Ive been beating myself up for the past two years... dont expect the decision to get any better or easier lmao

SundownAudioNY 08-29-2011 12:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DAGKANA (Post 258717)
James I dont know anyone at TD other than Tomp has done buisness w/ him... however I sent out a feeler to RCV just now see if we can by pass the middle man so to speak...

Sundown you make a good point. Ive done both though. Im on my third set of half shafts. Second diff. And 4th CV boot... Im toying w/ ideas until someone gets the solid axle swap into a more affordable price range... that and Stan gets a week off from work so we can go to town ripping my H3 apart before my second baby comes...

Jake your mind set is the same as mine and Ive been beating myself up for the past two years... dont expect the decision to get any better or easier lmao

Nothing says affordable like a leaf sprung Dana 44 :D
Attachment 15496
Attachment 15497
Attachment 15498

Hunner 08-29-2011 12:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by beitodesstrafe (Post 258715)
That's always a tough call...

I'm in the same place with tie-rods: I'm looking to upgrade to the "bullet-proof" rods... of course if I get them and then work the hell out of my steering... it won't be the rods that break.

So do you let your truck break under less force, and have an easier repair job... Or do you upgrade so it hopefully won't break at all, but if it does... it REALLY sucks! :(

I have wheeled with Phil Day at Trail Duty and have had several well handled transactions thru his business. Some group buys are not all they are cracked up to be on special limited items with a small markup and it seems the volume on more expensive items never comes up to expectations.
Just a few points.
With the BP tie rods you are not just replacing the stock ones with beefed up tie rods, like those with sleeves. Because of the added articulation up and down and the ability for the Heims to rotate and take stress off the rack they should help absorb the stress the OEM put on the rack hitting the limits and having to flex the tie rod itself, which usually results in bending or breaking. With the bend in the outer end it centers the Heim at rest so you get max use of that as well as reducing the upward force OEM apply when at a steep angle after cranking up the t-bars.
I added longer anti-sway bar links to keep those from maxing out as well with just 23 1/2 or torsion lift at full droop the stock ones, with longer shocks are maxed out and cocked up as far as they can move.
Beefing up and preventing movement on the passenger side will also reduce the rack flex that can break the other end at the steering shaft aluminum casting with either tie rod. I decided it takes both mods.
I too have concern about beefing up the CV's even with a CI diff, but still have considered it after hearing about the number of people popping those. I do carry a couple of OEM CV's!
Attachment 15493
After having a Pusher front end on my Toyota I sort of like the slik front end on the H3. I guess it's different strokes ........and adjusted driving techniques and and some mods to increase reliability on the H3 as well as your intended type of wheeling. I plowed lots of furrows with that pumpkin on logging roads already messed up and was usually the cause of being able to go forward.
Attachment 15494
Attachment 15495

DAGKANA 08-29-2011 12:11 PM

sundown sent you a pm

beitodesstrafe 08-29-2011 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hunner (Post 258727)
With the BP tie rods you are not just replacing the stock ones with beefed up tie rods, like those with sleeves. Because of the added articulation up and down and the ability for the Heims to rotate and take stress off the rack they should help absorb the stress the OEM put on the rack hitting the limits and having to flex the tie rod itself, which usually results in bending or breaking. With the bend in the outer end it centers the Heim at rest so you get max use of that as well as reducing the upward force OEM apply when at a steep angle after cranking up the t-bars.
I added longer anti-sway bar links to keep those from maxing out as well with just 23 1/2 or torsion lift at full droop the stock ones, with longer shocks are maxed out and cocked up as far as they can move.
Beefing up and preventing movement on the passenger side will also reduce the rack flex that can break the other end at the steering shaft aluminum casting with either tie rod. I decided it takes both mods.

Thanks man!

The increased articulation of the BP tie rods is really what I find most attractive about them. I've been thinking about them more and more. Every time you post something about them, I get a little closer.

I’d have to do what you did though, follow-up with other mods to mitigate the side effects.

Hunner 08-29-2011 05:02 PM

I would be glad to help if you decide to go with any of that by providing more info.

Muddydawg75 08-29-2011 07:15 PM

I've bought from Phil a few times.... his prices are as good or better than other people claiming they are giving you group buy prices, and then hammering you on shipping....

CBPhoto bridged the gap with these guys... I believe he had the first set and gave them to someone else... he said they are pure beefy.

I tried to get a set for my H2, but Phil refunded my money saying they were on backorder... I tried to get with RCV and they never responded to my several emails.

Bullwheel 08-30-2011 05:59 AM

Can somebody recommend me a shop where to get the "bullet proof" tie rods and the extended sway bar rods?

For me steering and braking are the two most important safety issues.

Thanks in advance for any info!

SundownAudioNY 08-30-2011 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bullwheel (Post 258846)
Can somebody recommend me a shop where to get the "bullet proof" tie rods and the extended sway bar rods?

For me steering and braking are the two most important safety issues.

Thanks in advance for any info!

The tie rods are available through Bullet Proof Steering
Genuine Bullet Proof Steering Systems GM Pricing & Options

TAINTER 08-30-2011 11:51 AM

Hey James, contact Brodie, he has the prototype set that CB had and has them on his H3 now.

I am also of the using the 1/2 shaft as a "fuse". The ony time I had a front diff explode on me was when the 1/2 shafts became too stiff from a ripped boot and they would not articulate (became stright) putting the stress on the intermediate shaft in the front diff. breaking the shaft inside the diff then the pieces did the rest of the damage to the ring gear and pinion.:eek:

Hunner 08-30-2011 01:26 PM

The longer adjustable anti-sway bar links I used were some a local 4x4 shop had ready to fit on a buggy they were building. They let me buy those since I was leaving for Moab the next day. They are Curries. I think he called them "builders" model. They can be cut to length and still leave some adjustment. I think I ended up with 6 1/2 inch. I can try to get a model number. The great thing about these is the mounting bolts are the same size as stock so they fit good on both ends. They are a lot heavier duty than what I first tried.

Paladine71 08-30-2011 03:01 PM

Thanks for the info, guys. If I'm getting all of this, the BP tie rods are good, these CVs are good, but the price for both could be a damaged diff. So, like Jake said, it's all tougher, but the reduced give could result in more expensive damage.... SH!T!

Hunner 08-30-2011 05:12 PM

I know we have strayed from the original subject but I thought I attempted to at least explain briefly my decision to use the BP by stating the extra articulation up down and sort of around and the bend at the end put less direct stress on the rack. The stock ones, especially with t-bars adjusted up and bigger tires push UP on the rack even more and limit out sooner.
That is just what I have come up with after shaking the wheels off the ground and watching all the reaction. I guess as long as somebody is making those 16mm, carrying some spares of those is a cheap option.
At one time there were several racks broken with stock tie rods.
I'm not sure how the tie rods would destroy a differential?

TAINTER 08-30-2011 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hunner (Post 258912)
I know we have strayed from the original subject....
I'm not sure how the tie rods would destroy a differential?

The RCV Halfshafts is what he was orignally talking about. That is what might destroy the front diff. It would be the next weakest link in the chain.

Hunner 08-30-2011 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Paladine71 (Post 258901)
but the price for both could be a damaged diff.

This just had me thinking I did not explain it well or it was misunderstood. Just trying to be accurate.
I do understand about the CV's is why I am holding off on those, for now. A spare CV or two takes alot less room than a diff assembly!!! If I add anything else I may need a chase vehicle! lol
By the way I only had 1 question about that trip to Drummond Tainter.................ha ha

TAINTER 08-30-2011 11:27 PM

I feel the same way. I'd rather carry spare 1/2 shafts than a diff. Even though we did take a 4:10 CI front diff to RC in April just to be on the "safe side":D

What was the 1 question about Drummond????:confused: PM me!

By the way, we have done enough business together please feel free to call me Mark or MU!:D

Hunner 08-30-2011 11:36 PM

Same ole question, you either needed it before or after going! ha ha

TAINTER 08-31-2011 10:14 AM

Only 3k to go on the bumper to bumper 4/50K so Next month it wil go on! We are also thinking about trading in Mr "T" soon for an automatic "T" (5 speed). So I may be swapping the front and rear 4:56s Locked diffs to Mr. Blue and giving "T" the 4:10s rear locked only. I may do it all at once since I will have the diff out it will make it easier to get in there and get that tough top bolt! I might even fab up a second mount like you did so the steering rack is "Strong Like Bull". Then 1" body lift and 37s??? Hmmmmmm..... I'll keep ya posted.:D

beitodesstrafe 08-31-2011 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER (Post 259002)
Only 3k to go on the bumper to bumper 4/50K so Next month it wil go on! We are also thinking about trading in Mr "T" soon for an automatic "T" (5 speed). So I may be swapping the front and rear 4:56s Locked diffs to Mr. Blue and giving "T" the 4:10s rear locked only. I may do it all at once since I will have the diff out it will make it easier to get in there and get that tough top bolt! I might even fab up a second mount like you did so the steering rack is "Strong Like Bull". Then 1" body lift and 37s??? Hmmmmmm..... I'll keep ya posted.:D

Whoa! :eek:

Yeah, keep us updated! :D

SundownAudioNY 08-31-2011 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER (Post 259002)

I would be interested in Mr. T. I have always wanted a 5 speed, especial an H3T! Although, I would want the front/rear lockers and 4.56 gears still :p

Draketh 08-31-2011 11:38 AM

37" tires fit with a body lift? News to me! :p

SundownAudioNY 08-31-2011 12:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Draketh (Post 259016)
37" tires fit with a body lift? News to me! :p

Yes 37's will fit with a body lift. The Daystar H3T only has there 1" body lift and torsion keys with 37" Interco SS-M16's
Attachment 15321
:eek:

Hunner 08-31-2011 04:53 PM

This might be a good place to insert this calculator for those that might find it interesting. I just found this one today. Funny it has a pop up that says don't go over 3% it could cause brake failure. Liability issues I guess. Never saw that before.
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

Somebody do the math on the odometer reading in miles from 285 to 315 if the speedometer reading is 5.390% too slow. I gotta find a calculator, lol
Then from 315 to 37's!

Maybe those CV's would come in handy with this setup?

Paladine71 08-31-2011 05:11 PM

Holy crap!!! Is there enough room to stuff a 37" tire off camber?

theBroken 08-31-2011 05:36 PM

The RCV's are a good investment. They are more for insurance. What people say about the fuse is correct but if you know how to drive your H3 that fuse will never get lit.

rsc 08-31-2011 08:13 PM

Exactly.

TAINTER 08-31-2011 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by theBroken (Post 259056)
The RCV's are a good investment. They are more for insurance. What people say about the fuse is correct but if you know how to drive your H3 that fuse will never get lit.

BELOW Me!:p

If you took your rig OffRoad more than.......:eek:

Paladine71 08-31-2011 10:16 PM

Oh snap!

theBroken 08-31-2011 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER (Post 259112)
BELOW Me!:p

If you took your rig OffRoad more than.......:eek:

What makes you think I was talking about you?

Please don't try to discredit me just because you thought I was referring to you. I've had both my H3's off road many many times.

TAINTER 08-31-2011 11:53 PM

Whoa, Whoa there Brodie. Not trying to "discredit" you what so ever! I respect your friendship, HUMMER knowledge and the work you have done with aftermarket parts for our rigs.

I was joking with ya. Notice the "smilies". "Lighten up Francis"

beitodesstrafe 09-01-2011 08:45 AM

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

:p

Draketh 09-01-2011 10:29 AM

Sissy Hummer Slapfight!

rsc 09-04-2011 09:26 PM

There ain't nuthin "sissy" when yer talkin bout HUMMERS! :)