PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Randomly wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:11 PM

i used to have the same issue with an f body camaro. i had to carry two keys. if one wouldnt work i would use the other. i never figured out if it was the key or tumbler, i bypassed that security feature with a resistor in the wire that runs to the ecm and it never happened again. Im not reccomennding the bypass on a hummer but it does sound like the sam symptoms.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:41 PM

The H3 does not use a "chipped" key, the feedback is in the cylinder housing itself. Try the easy fix first, replace the battery terminals (see pic Below). You can pick both the possitive and negative terminal up from Autozone for under twenty bucks. An easy half hour or less install. Plus if you ever hook up a winch or heavy duty fog lights you have the added power outputs available. If that doesn't do the trick, its your key cylinder tumbler.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:34 PM

My wifes 2007 has been doing this the last few weeks. She told me about it happening to her a few weeks ago. I had it happen to me last weekend when I was going to back the truck out of the garage to wash it. Then last Sunday night we stopped to get gas and it happened when we were trying to leave.

I looked at the key and found some black mess in the grooves of the key. I cleaned this out while we were waiting at the pump. She put the key back in the ignition and it started right up. I guess we may have set at the pump for about 10 minutes all total and tried to start it a few times. Any help on this topic is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:39 PM

Same is happening to my '07 H3. Very random, but at least once a week. The GM service dept advised the ignition switch requires replacement. This will be done in the next few weeks. Will advise if doesn't work.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:45 AM

wow that sucks, thanks for posting the question

Old 06-14-2010, 09:31 PM

My 07 H3 was doing the same thing. I brought it to the dealer and they had to replace the ignition switch . No more problems .

Old 07-07-2010, 03:55 PM

I had the same issue in my 06 H3. It is a little metal pice inside the ignition switch that is causing the issue. If the replace the ignition you should have no issues. We have not had any since they replaced ours. Let us know how you make out.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:40 PM

After reading the last post awhile ago and having no issues, I thought good to know.
Well as of tuesday and then saturday and then again today, I have the same problem. I tried the 2nd key on saturday - no start. I changed over the battery clamps - no start. Now everytime it shuts off, I have to get a boost.
So here I go to the dealer...

Old 07-19-2010, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by lucky19942001
could be u have a problem with the battery cables, i have a 2006 and i was having problems with it not starting at times and it was the cables to the battery and hopefully u dont have that cause the part will take u a long time to get cause it is on a national back order, i have been waiting 6 months for it,luckily the dealer was able to rig a clamp and i have had not had a problem yet but still waiting on the part,good luk but i am thinking u might not have the problem i have cause u would notice loss of power like when u get in and turn the car on and the the time display is at 12:00 or there could be bad contact to the battery and it might try to start but cant cause of poor contact. could be lots of things

Hey Lucky19942001;204824, I just had the same issue with my battery cables. I went down to the local auto parts store and bought common lead battery cable ends. Cut the cheap azz cable ends off the original equip and put the new common lead ends on. Cleaned and sprayed to prevent corrision and I'm back in business like new. Don't wait on the high priced OEM cables to come in. Took me 30-40 mins lifting hood to crankin and back in business.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:41 PM

I had the same problem, randomly not starting (2006 H3), changed the ignition cylinder and had the fuel pump filter changed or cleaned. My car has only not started once since those two things were done. They checked my fuel pump but only the filter was changed.

I have been using only the key, not the beeper thing. Was told it could also be the BCM thing, I am having that done today.

From what I read, it must be either the Ignition cylinder (which would explain why the car starts 10 minutes later, when the theft control times out) or the Fuel Pump (which would explain why this problem occurred in the mornings when engine was cold 90% of the time). The BCM module could also be a factor, not sure about this.

Quick Reply: Randomly wont start