PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rail Dust Issue (big concern)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Default Rail Dust Issue (big concern)

I have read multiple posts here about the rail dust and how to use the clay bar to remove them. I bought my 2006 h3 a few weeks ago and when i bought it you couldn't see any sort of rail dust on the paint. A few days later i noticed it around all the door handles, inside the door jams and all over the front passenger and drivers side doors.

I spent a few hours this morning using the clay bar and the spray it comes with and it sure made the paint smoothe but the rust marks are still there.

Is this something where i take it back to the dealership i bought it from, OR do i take it to the local hummer dealership and have them work it out?

Any advice here would help ... I live in Texas so the salt BS won't work and a truck that is 2.5 years old should have little rust spots all over it.

Thanks in advance.

Don

Old 08-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Default RE: Rail Dust Issue (big concern)

I'm not sure what rail rust is. Has the paint been pentatrated? Have you tried polishing compound?

Old 08-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

If it is rail dust, it was from transport ftom the plant to the dealearship (distribution hub), so you could take it to any Hummer dealer to have them see if it is warranty work. Might get a little further if you went to the selling dealer, rather than the closest Hummer dealer?

Old 08-25-2008, 08:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

If it is rail dust, it was from transport ftom the plant to the dealearship (distribution hub), so you could take it to any Hummer dealer to have them see if it is warranty work. Might get a little further if you went to the selling dealer, rather than the closest Hummer dealer?
So Doc is this like acid rain or chemical fall out? It's not rust to the bare metal is it?

Old 08-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

When auto mfgers ship car/trucks by train cars, the low metal tracks and wheels of the cars create friction, and cause a iron/metal dust that then settles on the finish and when exposed to moisture = rust spots where these tiny fragments get embedded in the finish. Worse/easier to spot on a light colored vehicle.

Info repair link: http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/re...dust/index.cfm

Old 08-25-2008, 11:19 AM

Interesting bit of info..makes sense...I guess if you live close to Shreaveport, they trucked the H3 in to one's dealer, that then you might not have this problem.[&:]

Old 08-25-2008, 08:47 PM

There is rust spots all over the place....from a few feet away you can't see them but up close its pretty bad. Its also in all the door jams? I will start with the dealer i bought the truck from and go from there. I will keep you guys posted

Old 08-25-2008, 09:49 PM

I've been wondering what the hell those were from..... God those things are annoying.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:33 PM

Talked to the chevy dealership that i bought the truck from they said there was nothing they could do and Hummer "generally" will cover it under warantee. So i am having to goto the hummer dealership on Saturday. Will keep you guys updated.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Quick Reply: Rail Dust Issue (big concern)