PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator- Answers

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:13 AM
Default Radiator- Answers

So I've read over the half dozen great radiator posts on here and I have some direct questions.

1. If I just replace the radiator should I be in the clear for the whole leaking into the Transmission for another 80-100K miles theoretically? I've read about all the bypassing, but just trying to get basic info first.
If so, Recommendation on a solid one? The best I've seen so far in quality/cheapest price was a shepard auto-all aluminum one for $160, but not too many reviews..To all who've replaced it, what did you use and is it holding up?

Sorry to keep posting on the radiator subject since its been detailed greatly already, but hoping this will help sum it up.

After dealing with my H3 head issues and radiator/thermostat, I'd rather be super pro active on the H2 I have now when I can.

Thanks again,

Old 09-11-2014, 11:33 AM

I had a NAPA service center throw in a new OEM style radiator that has life-time warranty on parts & labor about 3 months ago. I was at 105K miles. I feel I am good for the next 100K miles... I don't give it a second thought now about the radiator failing and ruining the tranny. It is a good feeling. For me, I did not want to mess with bypassing and using an external cooler. I want to keep my H2 mechanically stock because I deal with both warm and very cold weather. The stock setup helps warm up the tranny fluid on really cold days.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:44 AM

OK Cool.. I'm going to work on fixing known issues first with the 2 and then get to exterior mods as I went the other way on my 3 and it looked cool, but it started falling apart under the hood..

As always, anymore comments are welcome on recommendations.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:32 AM

I would buy a quality radiator like KirkHayes did. There are a lot of Chinese junk radiators on the market and you will be risking the same thing with a cheap radiator. I would buy an OEM or AC Delco radiator if I was in the market for one.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:00 AM

Might be a dumb question but in looking at these radiators, I see tons out there but some say w/o engine oil cooler and some say without transmission oil cooler..
Anyone know what the OEM has? The two on Napa's site are different.. Auto zone only shows spectre ones.. Gm parts house has one and its only $212. Seems pretty cheap..

I still like the shepard auto one too all aluminum for $150..
If anyone has exact part numbers feel free to post here too, because there is a lot of noise when trying to look up radiators..