PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A quick question to anyone who has replaced their base stereo head unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:52 AM

The button is one and the same for Onstar and bluetooth calling, although in the older model H3's, you will not have an option to pair or use a bluetooth device as the added module is not present. I was thinking that the module was built into the radio but as Tony has confirmed in his answer above, it seems to deal with the Onstar system as he has changed out his head unit and retained his factory bluetooth.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:31 AM

Just purchased an 06 H3 for my wife on her one year cancer dx anniversary. As she put it, "Having been diagnosed with breast cancer this time last year, I wanted something positive to associate with April, not cancer."

Is it possible to add this module to a 06?

Also, if I was interested in swapping out the base radio with a factory nav system, where would I look for the proper components?

Thanks!!

Old 04-18-2010, 08:26 AM

I put my Pioneer navigation system in my '09 when I got it, same unit I had in my '06 and '07. A couple of issues.

Bluetooth still works, but it doesn't remember my paired phone. When I restart the truck, I have to pair the phone again to use it. Quite a pain, so I don't use it. I haven't messed with it lately, I might go out and try again today to see if I can figure out why. Nothing except the radio is removed, so maybe the memory for the bluetooth is tied to the radio?

Sometimes when I start the truck, the Nav system doesn't start up. The Peripheral unit I used to keep Onstar and chimes is supposed to activate a relay, and about one out of ten times it doesn't. If I turn the key again it does. Reports of similar behavior from other guys with Pioneer Nav, may be related to the Peripheral module. Peripheral website says this module isn't compatible, but this is the only issue I've seen.

I'm interested to hear how the GMOS module works when you get it installed.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by HumbleAg
I put my Pioneer navigation system in my '09 when I got it, same unit I had in my '06 and '07. A couple of issues.
how did the nav unit work in your 06 and 07? what model pioneer headunit is it?

Old 04-18-2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Autumn Walker
how did the nav unit work in your 06 and 07? what model pioneer headunit is it?

AVIC-D2, worked great in both other trucks. I used Peripheral module GMAH24 to retain onstar (and give ok signal to Class 2 bus) and GMAHCM to retain chimes. Never any issues. Oh, '06 had Monsoon, so module was actually GMAH24B.

There is definately a compatibility issue with the '09 though. I just pulled it and put the factory radio back in. It now remembers my paired phone, in fact it remembers the phone I paired when the Nav was in (that it wouldn't remember when the Nav was in). So, the info isn't stored in the radio, but the Peripheral module somehow blocks the info. I'm sure the module is responsible for the startup issues as well.

If anyone has put an aftermarket system in a '09 or '10 and kept bluetooth, I'd really like to hear what interface module you used.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:03 AM

I have a soundstream 7355NRBT with a Metra GMOS-04 harness. Its all about the harness not the heaunit you pick. Get the rite harness and you will be fine.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by theBroken
I have a soundstream 7355NRBT with a Metra GMOS-04 harness. Its all about the harness not the heaunit you pick. Get the rite harness and you will be fine.
Is this on a '09 or '10 with Bluetooth?

Peripheral says the module I have isn't compatible with an '09, so I'm not surprised I'm having issues. Metra doesn't list on their website if it is compatible, so I've been reluctant to try it. Maybe that would fix my power up issue.

By the way, I discovered that my issue with the truck not remembering my phone isn't the harness or the Nav. After I put the stock radio back in it does the same thing after a while. Will pair with the phone and work great, but after I shut the truck off for a while and come back to it, it doesn't remember my phone and has to be re-paired.

Last edited by HumbleAg; 04-20-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:33 PM

Ok, just to correct myself from earlier. Bluetooth issue has nothing to do with the aftermarket Nav or Onstar retention module.

Took the truck to the dealer today and asked about the bluetooth issue. There was a tech bulletin dealing with it, not remembering paired phones was the issue. A software update and now all is fine.

I'd still like to verify the GMOS-04 module is completely compatible with the 2009 H3. Anyone?