PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions from a soon to be Hummer owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Default Questions from a soon to be Hummer owner

Hello all,

I am soon to be a first time HUMMER owner looking to purchase an H3. I have done a TON of research for the last couple of months and after test drives and even a week long rental, I have decided to go with an Alpha. After reading these forums (first time poster here) I can tell theres alot of owners that know their stuff so here is a basic description of what I will use it for followed by a few questions...

It will be a part-time driver (I have a company car) and towing vehicle (I have a mid-size boat). It will also be used off-road (dirt, some mud) probably 1/4 of its life atleast will be off-road. Also will be a road trip vehicle. So here are some questions I have...

1. ) I am going with the off-road package, but I will want to upgrade the tires atleast. I would like to go with Cepek Crushers or MT Baja MTZ's or even Claw's. What are the largest sizes I can go with stock? I am being told 305/70/17.

2.) Should I go with a level kit? It sits higher andlooks a bit better, alsocan accomodate larger tires. But what are the drawbacks?

3.) Is the underbody protection worth the extra $$?

4.) Any recommendations for performance increases?

Any help you provide would be great. Thanks.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:17 AM
Default RE: Questions from a soon to be Hummer owner

welcome to the site.

tires go with the mtz's...better street ride than the crushers and just as good if not better offroad (crushers do not do mud very well) You can go to a 35 (315) with no rub issues at all.

You do not need to do a ready lift...waste of money...all the keys do is relocate your t-bar starting point if you run out of room cranking them.cranking the t-bar has no effect on ride quality...your not making the ride any stiffer y doing this. Those that say they are have no clue what cranking a t-bar actually does....if you experiance a rougher ride after cranking them you wil need to buy shock extenders or new shocks in the front cause the rougher ride is bieng caused by over extended shocks.

If your going with the alfa I don't know if you really need a performace boost, but the same holds true for any motor...intake, exhaust, pcm.

underbody is well worth the money if you do wheeling that will damage the underbody.....normal trail use will be fine without it.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:34 AM

I would get some low profile tires a set of 26's and some badges....And it will look beautiful....You may even be lucky and import killer may vote you in for the RTOM......LMAO....Good luck buddy the ALPHA is a beast i love that truck but these guys def know what there talking about so they will help you out cant wait to see pics

Old 11-13-2007, 12:53 AM

I would get rock sliders...

Old 11-13-2007, 02:05 AM

true dat batman!!! I forgot to add those....good catch

Old 11-13-2007, 05:01 AM

yep,315's or 35's,
and as far as the lift,if you truly level it out,you will need new shocks or just some extenders(which i can sell you) because the ride will be bouncy,as far as power.you my friend are getting the best,so not much will be needed,maybe just an intake or something

Old 11-13-2007, 07:04 AM

If you go offroading get the UCP - a good investment. No reason, though, you can't get it off eBay and install it yourself. And get either the GM rock sliders or rock rails from Rocky Road Outfitters. The Rocky Road can work a bit as a step though the bar is small and slick when wet. Nerf bars are good steps but crush like nerf ***** offroad.

Performance steps:
Intake, like Airaid K&N
Exhaust, like Gibson or Magnaflow
Tune from pcmforless

Lots of info in the forums on the performance items, though I don't know if pcmforless is doing Alphas, or what's available for Alphas. My upgrades were all on an I5.
[/align]

Old 11-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Hey, whaaaazzzz up. These guys covered it. You didn't tell us where you're from or where/what kinda stuff you would be wheeling in, so if you need more info, please give us more details. Welcome.

Definitely do NOT spend the $$$ on a lift leveling kit, spend that on shock extenders, or better yet, a new set of shocks up front like http://cognitomotorsports.com/store/Hummer_H3.html

More good reading RE: Front Leveling & 35" Tire FAQ [align=right]
[/align]

Old 11-13-2007, 12:02 PM

Hi and welcome! When you pick it up, remember to post pics!

Old 11-13-2007, 03:23 PM

get it dude! you'll love it! and, due to my recent experience, its the safest vehicle you'll ever own...bar none!

good luck!

Quick Reply: Questions from a soon to be Hummer owner