Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Quality upgraded boot on CV axle (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/quality-upgraded-boot-cv-axle-35481/)

TAINTER 08-21-2017 07:43 AM

Someone really doesn't have to be an extreme offroad enthusiast to have a half shaft pop out of the front diff when taking a turn because it was too short. There are also plenty of on-road horror stories with the cheap azz half shafts too like cardone boot wrap around the shaft binding it. Buy what ever you wish just letting people know that all half shafts are not created equal.

As for Rodney King. A convicted strong-arm robber on parole, who led police on a chase at speeds exceeding 115 miles per hour, across freeways and residential streets, in order to avoid arrest for drunk driving? The police and any pedestrian in the area should have the right to beat the funk out of him. Let alone all of the riots and civil unrest that ensued because of his poor decisions. Not funny

hummerz 08-21-2017 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kamikazi (Post 346516)
The thing here is not all of us extreme offroad enthusiasts and don't need to go to super upgrades. Secondly what guarantee do you have that the OEM parts aren't Chinese made or contain Chinese (or who know's where?) made parts? After all they had made a bid to take over production so how machining had they already done before pulling the plug?

Finally, the change in the part numbers because they didn't want the expense of having 2 similar parts when 1 will fit... It doesn't matter when your Hummer was made, whether it was a Base, an Alpha or an X or a He or H3T.... there is only ONE part number available NOW and they are all interchangeable. So, no my statement was not untrue...

I really appreciate this forum for the info it has provided me in diagnosing and making repairs but some members go the luxury route, some go the extreme offroad and some of us are somewhere in the middle... So a $700 part might be extreme for some of our needs while a differential crossmember bushing kit without having to change out the crossmember itself is a doable and cost savings project.

In the immortal words of Rodney King... Can't we all just get along?:D

I still have my ORIGINAL axles, however if I had to replace them, I would use, Remanufactured!

WHY BUY CARDONE REMANUFACTURED AXLES?
JUST ASK OUR CUSTOMERS!"I've been in business for over 30 years and have been using your A1 CARDONE remanufactured axles for as long as I can remember. It is my brand of choice because they are made with the utmost quality and standards. I look forward to our continued business"
  • 100% Neoprene boots ensure excellent ozone resistance, which eliminates cracking, a leading cause of boot failure.
  • Boot clamps are pneumatically crimped creating a perfect seal between the boot and housing.
  • High quality grease withstands high-temperature and pressure extremes, which extends joint life.
  • High-tech grinding machines maintain the original design of the outer housing, race and cage to guarantee reliable performance.
  • Splines are chased 100% to ensure proper fit of axle into the mating hub and transmission, which eliminates installation hassles.
  • Threads are chased 100% to ensure proper fit when axle nut is installed.

The first thing I do when comparing the axle replacement, is hold them both vertically, compressing them to the ground, then measure the height of both axles!

(I've replaced thousands, over my 30+ years repairing vehicles)

If the new axle, is the same length, or within a 1/4 inch longer, I will install it.
I will NOT install it, if it is shorter!

Save the money for other things, Cardone upgrades the boots & bearings during reman.

The main thing, if you are a "do it yourselfer", this is a quick and easy job!
(maybe a beer or 2, depending on how fast you drink)

Kamikazi 08-22-2017 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz (Post 346551)
The main thing, if you are a "do it yourselfer", this is a quick and easy job!
(maybe a beer or 2, depending on how fast you drink)

I think total time was about 3 hours and found it relatively easy. And I suffer from CHF and am on the transplant waiting list! I "rented" the 36mm axle nut socket from O'Reilly's and the 13/16th socket should be deep well.

Unfortunately, due to my meds, I can't drink beer but I made it through one Dr Pepper and one bottled water.

hummerz 08-22-2017 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kamikazi (Post 346585)
I think total time was about 3 hours and found it relatively easy. And I suffer from CHF and am on the transplant waiting list! I "rented" the 36mm axle nut socket from O'Reilly's and the 13/16th socket should be deep well.

Unfortunately, due to my meds, I can't drink beer but I made it through one Dr Pepper and one bottled water.

Nice work! Auto repair shops charge up to 2+hrs for the labor, then they mark up the price, on the part. You saved yourself hundreds$$$. If you came to my shop for the cardone replacement, it would have set you back around $450.00. & the ACdelco replacement would have been over $600.00 cost to you. Take care of yourself and your "ticker". On a side note, I drink lots of beer to keep my blood flowing easily, to reduce the pressure on mine.