PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Put Diesel in Gas tank drove like 10 min

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:45 AM
Default Put Diesel in Gas tank drove like 10 min

My Sister has a 2006 H3 and i just found out they came and towed it back to the dealership today. I guess she put 4 gallons of diesel into her gasoline motor..[sm=badidea.gif] She said she drove about 10 min till she got home. Isn't the GREEN diesel nozzle a different size to prevent that? Isn't diesels flash point much lower than that of unleaded gasoline, yet the engine will still run for 10 min? Anyone have any input on this...Thank you[sm=helpout.gif]

Old 08-27-2008, 11:05 AM
Default RE: Put Diesel in Gas tank drove like 10 min

10 mins could have been fuel still in the lines and not the diesel.

Yeah, it's a woman thing, even if they put the diesel pumps seperate and painted them bright orange you will still get some who does this

Old 08-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Somegoofball that leases a commercial space from me put diesel in his Porsche Boxter....filled it up, he did not get out of the gas station parking lot before it quit!!!
Hummers must be tough.

They will be draining and flushing the fuel system for sis, wonder what that will cost her???

Old 08-27-2008, 01:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

Somegoofball that leases a commercial space from me put diesel in his Porsche Boxter....filled it up, he did not get out of the gas station parking lot before it quit!!!
Hummers must be tough.

They will be draining and flushing the fuel system for sis, wonder what that will cost her???
Commercial space you say? What kinda commercial space and where? PM me

Old 08-27-2008, 04:46 PM

I went to fill up my 71 Riviera on the way to work one morning and was half asleep. This wasabout 10 years ago. I walked in to pay for the gas, and the clerk said "You know you just put 22 gallons of diesel in the car don't ya?". I didn't miss a beat and said.."yeah, I know". Walked out the door, muttering all the way to the car. This was also the sametime I was having to add lead to the tank at each fill-up. I figured this was probably one of those times it just didn't matter.

I went back to the house and as I pulled into the driveway, it died. That was the biggest pain trying to syphon all the diesel out, but I got it done without dropping the gas tank. When I did start it up, it looked like a mosquito fogger had gone off in the neighborhood from all the black smoke.

The car had been passed down to me from my grandfather and when I told him what happened he just laughed at me. He said "son, it use to be common to put a gallon of diesel in a full tank to help clean it out, but I doubt 22 gallons was the correct mixture.

It was after that that I realized why the newer cars didn't have a gas tank filler neck the size of a 32oz cup anymore.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:19 PM

Diesel has a HIGHER flash point than Gasoline..means, it takes more heatto ignite it..But the fact that only four gallons was put in to the 19 gallons of gasoline is why she got that far down the road..I hope the CAT isn't plugged up..

Old 08-31-2008, 07:01 PM

I once put deisel in my 69 Nova, a half tank.The only thing that happenned was it puffed smoke when shifting. Drove it 100 miles or better before filling up again.