PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Problem with H3

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Default Problem with H3

On Saturday, just shy of 6,000 miles on my new H3, I got the check engine light. I called Onstar. They diagnosed it as a Power Train Misfire. Of course, I was read the "list" of do's and don'ts. I had to wait to bring it down to the dealer (30 mins away) on Monday. Bring it down to the dealer and they diagnose the problem as Cylinder #3 Misfire. They explain this has been happening on the H3's as well as the Chevy Colorado's...they can't get the parts for 14 days and then they estimate a 2 day fix on the problem. The biggest headache is that we were supposed to drive 3,000 miles on it. They assure me the truck is safe to drive and won't break down. Yah right!

After the dealer, the next day, the engine light started flashing a few flashes when I would sit at a light and it would idol. It would be a hard idol - they said that was a fluke one time yesterday. Well, it happened again.

Now, I have to rent a vehicle for $300 because I am NOT taking my chances in this beast! I am so frustrated. I called Hummer and they don't seem to care to be honest.

I am starting to lose all faith in this product! I am so upset about it.

Can anyone let me know what they have done? Specifically, the steps they took to get resolution? Any assistance you can give me would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

Fellow Hummer Owner - less than happy now.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Default RE: Problem with H3

ORIGINAL: H3gal

On Saturday, just shy of 6,000 miles on my new H3, I got the check engine light. I called Onstar. They diagnosed it as a Power Train Misfire. Of course, I was read the "list" of do's and don'ts. I had to wait to bring it down to the dealer (30 mins away) on Monday. Bring it down to the dealer and they diagnose the problem as Cylinder #3 Misfire. They explain this has been happening on the H3's as well as the Chevy Colorado's...they can't get the parts for 14 days and then they estimate a 2 day fix on the problem. The biggest headache is that we were supposed to drive 3,000 miles on it. They assure me the truck is safe to drive and won't break down. Yah right!

After the dealer, the next day, the engine light started flashing a few flashes when I would sit at a light and it would idol. It would be a hard idol - they said that was a fluke one time yesterday. Well, it happened again.

Now, I have to rent a vehicle for $300 because I am NOT taking my chances in this beast! I am so frustrated. I called Hummer and they don't seem to care to be honest.

I am starting to lose all faith in this product! I am so upset about it.

Can anyone let me know what they have done? Specifically, the steps they took to get resolution? Any assistance you can give me would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

Fellow Hummer Owner - less than happy now.
This is a known issue with a flaw in the engine head on a select few H3s (unfortunately your's is appearantly one of them) ..the fix is a replacement of the whole head assembly...That's why the 2 week wait on parts.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:07 AM

Dennis

Thanks for your reply. One question: Does this having to take the engine apart to fix this problem, compromise the vehicle in any way? Is it "really" safe to drive?

Also, after reading some of the "other" posts on this forum, and seeing some pictures of the "crack" above the driver's side door, I checked it last night and sure enough, I have the same crack!!! Ugh!!

Okay, once again, I am so disallusioned....

H3gal

Old 04-05-2006, 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: H3gal

Dennis

Thanks for your reply. One question: Does this having to take the engine apart to fix this problem, compromise the vehicle in any way? Is it "really" safe to drive?

Also, after reading some of the "other" posts on this forum, and seeing some pictures of the "crack" above the driver's side door, I checked it last night and sure enough, I have the same crack!!! Ugh!!

Okay, once again, I am so disallusioned....

H3gal
The Crack issue is being addressed by GM as we speak (actually as we type)..Those replacement parts will be available sometime in May, preceeded by a service bullitin of some kind..GM has went to another vendor for those new and improved parts.

The engine must have the old head removed and the new one installed...About a days worth of labor (thank God for warranties)..But don't be disheartened..This is not a big deal and the car will run better than ever when fixed from the reports and inquiries I've made about this issue....I believe there is even an extended warranty given to ease your mind...This kinda stuff is not unheard of especially in a first year vehicle..So hang in there...I personally would not drive it until the dealer is ready for you to bring it in..Dealers vary too..Some dealers I know of (like mine) took the H3 in and parked it waiting on the parts and gave the customer a Cadillac for a loaner in the mean time...So I think your dealer needs to make that part right with you too..GM foots the bill on the loaner so I don't see the issue there.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:30 PM

Wow, thanks Dennis. I appreciate your quick responses and your assurances. I was disheartened to say the least...

About the rental car. Dealership isn't offering one because they say H3 is driveable and safe. I called Hummer's number (actually GM I learn) and they state if I rent a car to go on my long trip, that is my expense because the dealer states the truck is okay to drive. Dealer states that the problem won't get "worse" and that we won't break down. When I contacted Hummer's number, they stated that they can't assure me I won't break down and when I ask them who is going to ship my truck 1,500 miles back to my home area if I DO break down, they give me a song and a dance! (basically, they'll "try" to work with me "at that time" and 'if' I break down). Do I want to take that chance and ruin my long planned vacation? Heck no!

Sounds like a run around to me. I voiced multiple complaints to them though.

Hey, sounds like that crack will get fixed too -
But all this is leaving a bad taste in my mouth...

H3gal

Old 04-05-2006, 12:44 PM

Yeah, I can imagine it don't taste good either...But 90% of customer car complaints or satisfaction rests squarely on the Dealership's performance...

But if you drove the H3 with a sick engine, I'm not sure if it might or might not hurt it anymore than it is right now..Lot more mechanical issues involved to go into here...But, then again it might..As I said, I wouldn't take the chance, even if they (dealer) said it would be ok...I'd call another dealer's service around or out of State and get a second opinion ...At be$t though, your mileage will be horrendou$ly Ex$pen$ive.

Old 04-05-2006, 05:07 PM

Got a quick question...does anyone have problems with the turning off the traction control? I hit the button and no light comes on. But when i went mud riding a couple weekends ago it was flashing because it was kicking in. I tried turning it off here recently and it wouldn't never show up anything. Any ideas?

Old 04-05-2006, 05:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Sisco22

Got a quick question...does anyone have problems with the turning off the traction control? I hit the button and no light comes on. But when i went mud riding a couple weekends ago it was flashing because it was kicking in. I tried turning it off here recently and it wouldn't never show up anything. Any ideas?
You have to hold the button in for like 5 seconds..then the icon will light up on the instrument cluster...If you engage the Rear Diff locks..this will also disengage the Traction control

Old 04-05-2006, 05:12 PM

[/quote]
You have to hold the button in for like 5 seconds..then the icon will light up on the instrument cluster...If you engage the Rear Diff locks..this will also disengage the Traction control
[/quote]

Thanks! I couldn't figure out how to do it. i hit it several times and it just wasn't working. Thanks for the advice Dennis!