PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Default Power steering noise

I have a 2007 H3. The power steering pump is making a noise like it is out of fluid (It's NOT). I installed a new pump and it didn't fix the problem!! I have read other posts about this,but no one ever comes back saying theirs was fixed and what it was. In cooler weather when I first start the motor is when it makes the most noise.
NO it's not locked it 4x4 and it sounds like a starving pump!?!?
Anyone know what is causing this????

Thanks, Dondobe

Old 12-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Banned

my experience has been low juice. ive heard guys talk of bleeding the ps??
the only thing i remember is turning end to end a few times. they say dont turn too hard.
do we assume ithe noise actually changes as you turn,rock the wheel?

Old 12-21-2011, 11:03 PM

Jack front wheels off the ground, remove lid on pump juice, slowly turn lock to lock several times to bleed out air.
Also should remove skid and inspect steering rack for leaks at ends of metal lines.
Also check pass side tie rod boot to see if it has fluid in it, indication leaking rack seal.
Is the belt in good shape? Get one anyway and install it, keep the old one for a spare. They can sometimes get glazed, a shiny surface from the environment they run in and no miracle treatment goo I ever tried worked!
Mine still whines a little when I first back out and turn hard in the mornings, maybe a signature attribute, I hear a lot of people mention it.
Last resort flush the old fluid out. I use only the stuff from GM only to make a paper trail in case I have a problem and they try to blame it on a generic fluid.
Good luck