PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Power outlet/cigarette lighter question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Default Power outlet/cigarette lighter question

I recently installed an external XM satellite radio unit in my 2006 H3. It doesn't tie into the factory radio unit. I didn't realize that both power outlets under the temperature controls stay on even when the truck is powered off. This means my XM player will stay on unless I manually power it down. All previous vehicles I have owned have a power outlet that kills the power when the car is turned off. Is there a work around for this?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-05-2009, 01:20 AM

dont think there is unless you modify it. all in mine stay on. even in the boot. not so much on as the power is able to be supplied form the battery even when power is off. its good i guess..... just means i have to take the GPS out of it everytime i get outa the car or its constantly charging it

Old 10-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Default Rewire

Wouldn't be very difficult to find an ignition powered wire and put in a 20 amp relay, controlled by the wire. Make one port ignition controlled and leave the other as is. My Dodge Pickup had a good idea, the fuse for the power port could be flipped to the other side of the holder, and it would change the power from switched to on alla time.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:28 AM

Has anyone already done this and can share exactly what they did?

Old 04-07-2011, 01:10 PM

I am having this same issue. Has anyone rewired their power outlet to go off when the car turns off. I want one on all the time and the other wired to turn off w/the car. I can't stand having to unplug the GPS every time I turn off the car.

Thanks,

Jason

Old 04-07-2011, 01:37 PM

As Debbiejeep said, the only proper way to do this is with an ignition controlled wire activating a relay switch to power the lighter receptacle. It's easy to do. 4 wires coming off the relay. You cut the power wire to the lighter, connect each end to the proper relay terminal, run a ground wire from the 3rd terminal, and an ignition wire from the fourth terminal. You can pull the ignition power from your radio harness, as the relay uses such little current it won't affect anything.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:04 PM

Is there an easy way to tell which wire on the radio harness I need to splice into? I'm a novice w/car wiring but I'm a quick learner w/these types of things. Also do I need any specific type of 20 amp relay or are they all the same (probably a stupid question but want to make sure)? And one other dumb question, what size and type of wiring should I use to do this?

BTW: Thanks for the help w/this!

- Jason

Last edited by jvorpahl; 04-07-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by jvorpahl
Is there an easy way to tell which wire on the radio harness I need to splice into? I'm a novice w/car wiring but I'm a quick learner w/these types of things. Also do I need any specific type of 20 amp relay or are they all the same (probably a stupid question but want to make sure)? And one other dumb question, what size and type of wiring should I use to do this?

- Jason
If you do a search, you can find the radio 12v+ wire. I can't remember if it was yellow, pink?? It has been discussed here before (maybe drtom will chime in). You need a 20amp or higher, 12volt relay (Radio Shack has them for about $5). The wire coming off the radio can be around 22ga., same for the ground. The wires you'll need to lengthen the cut lighter wires should be the same gauge as they are (probably around 14ga.min.)

Old 04-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jvorpahl
I am having this same issue. Has anyone rewired their power outlet to go off when the car turns off. I want one on all the time and the other wired to turn off w/the car. I can't stand having to unplug the GPS every time I turn off the car.

Thanks,

Jason
Did you even LOOK at this? https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...bumping-23221/

17 months ago Dude, 17 months ago somebody else posted this history.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned

i would just tie into the switched radio wire and be done,the extra load prob wont hurt. gps is nill, if u ever blow the fuse,then goto next step!! i doubt u will

Quick Reply: Power outlet/cigarette lighter question