PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Portable Air Pumps

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Default Portable Air Pumps

After going to the sand dunes over the weekend, this got me thinking. Everyone that aired down their tires had to leave the dunes with low tire pressure and onto the streets. There was a store with an air pump selling air. Does anyone own a portable air pump (that plugs into your power outlet"cigarette Lighter"that does not take a half hour to fill up one tire.Info please..I already did a search and came up empty.
Thanks,
Steve

Old 08-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Default RE: Portable Air Pumps

There are many brands available. The ones that connect directly to the battery are better (more amps). Some are mounted in the vehicle others are portable.

Look for CFM rating and % duty cycle ratings.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:16 PM

viair makes a good series of compressors. i might recommend that you add an external Warn connector to the truck, that way you don't have to open the hood to get to the battery terminals hummersolutions.com sells the entire kit to do it that way

Old 08-08-2007, 08:47 PM
ZOO

I bought one at Lowes. It is a Black&Decker and works very well. Make sure you buy the one that has the better PSI rating.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:02 PM

I saw I nice install where a guy moved his jack around and mounted a compressor in the rear hatch. He made up a pigtail
to draw power from his trailer light hook-up. Coiled hose/chucks and whatnot went in the hatch as well.

Pretty ingenious I thought.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:49 PM

I don't think you will ever find a 12 volt compressor that will inflate your tires satisfactorilyunless a 2 beer air up is o.k. Look at a CO2 tank option. I have a 20 lb Power Tank. I use Staun air deflators to lower the pressure in my H2 to 24 lbs and my H3 to 20 lbs. The Power Tank will air up all 8 wheels in less than 10 minutes.

There are cheaper tanks on the market than the Power Tank but like everything else it is the best.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:54 PM

Costco sells one for $50 that attachs directly to the battery and will air up a 35 inch tire in about 3 minutes if I recall correctly. It is a heavy duty unit with finned aluminum cylinder head. You might see it on their website www.costco.com and do a search for tire inflater.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Camou2

I don't think you will ever find a 12 volt compressor that will inflate your tires satisfactorilyunless a 2 beer air up is o.k. Look at a CO2 tank option. I have a 20 lb Power Tank. I use Staun air deflators to lower the pressure in my H2 to 24 lbs and my H3 to 20 lbs. The Power Tank will air up all 8 wheels in less than 10 minutes.

There are cheaper tanks on the market than the Power Tank but like everything else it is the best.
What does it run to have one of those tanks filled up and where would you have it done?
Welders supply or something?
Can you really run and air toll off one of those damn things?

Old 08-09-2007, 05:16 PM

Harbor Freight has what seems to be a decent compressor for cheap right now. Granted its a harbor freight tool...so reliability might be an issue but if its just for filling tires...i imagine itd do pretty well. I cant find where it gives a duty cycle though but cfm and psi are high..plus it comes with a nice coil hose and a guage.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93186

Ive seen a few guys running air bags in bagger pickups buying these up as spares. It looks very similar to the viair and this is about like the pep boys cheap nice compressor phemonenon a few years back if you remember that. Might be a good buy while it lasts. Sometimes they are on sale for $49 too!

Old 08-09-2007, 06:12 PM

Thanks everyone for the info...I will pay some of these stores a visit.

Quick Reply: Portable Air Pumps