PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance parts/better milage

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:12 AM
Default Performance parts/better milage

I recently got an 06 H3, and i was wondering what parts work best for you guys to increase performance and mpg.

Intake: would a better (K&N) drop in filter work, or should i go with a full CAI?

Exaust: I have a muffler from Moroso that i never got around to putting on my previous truck, and im going to have an exaust shop custom bend a higher flow exaust pipe.

Spark Plugs: which ones are the best? i hear conflicting arguments between E3 & Bosch Platinum +4

Tuning: has anybody tuned their H3? did you notice a difference in performance and/or increase MPG?

What else has worked for you guys to increase performance?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-29-2009, 08:15 AM

Do a search on this forum and you will find answers to all your questions.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:24 AM

Best value for the dollar is a custom ECM tune. Noticable, real improvements have been reported especially if you drive an automatic. Many are happy with PCMforless. If you live near one of the good vendors, I'd go in for a vehicle specific tune once you're done and happy with all of your various bolt-ons.

If you've got an I5 automatic, and want a massive Alpha beating improvement, go turbo! Werks and Hahn do amazing work with GM vehicles, I'd trust either of those shops with my H3.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:27 PM

A tune will surely help as for the drop in K&N filter don't waste your money,I drive roughly 4000 miles a month and saw zero improvement on milage when i got mine,a cai would be your best bet. As for the exhaust that will depend on your budget and sound preferences.I ripped a huge hole in my stock muffler at work and could only get a flowmaster where I was at, but it did improve the milage a little.Hopefully I can talk my wife into a Borla or Corsa exhaust soon.A quick search will have every bit of info you need good luck.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:25 PM

air pressure helps i run 38psi all the way around,ya its alittle rougher but helps the mpg

Old 08-29-2009, 05:16 PM

Concerning the CAI, the set up we have in our H3's are ideal for off road and water driving. The air that is pulled into the air intake comes from the air box that pulls air from the fender, which is partially vented by the external air vent above the hood. Don't ruin this set up with a CAI unless it utilizes an air box that sucks air from the fender also.

Also, I can attest to the E3 spark plugs. I installed them and noticed an immediate difference. The main point here is to disconnect your battery for 30 minutes while installing, then connect the battery and immediatly go for a drive in town and on the freeway. This helps the computer re-calibrate for the better fuel burn rate.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Multi electrode E3 plugs do not hold up to the GM HEI. I would NOT recommend anybody use them. After about 4000 miles you're asking for trouble.

I would tell you to stick with the stock AC delcos. If you want to do a double platinum, I'd first look at Champions, then the Bosch.

There are several CAT back exhausts available for the H3. You will get some sound, but performance gains will be very small. I like my MagnaFlows.

The I5 responds very well to and intake, and a PCM tune. Get your PCM tune done after you have your other mods in place so you can have it specifically tuned to the mods your truck has.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:51 AM

I put a k&n air filter on, and I always have skeptical if they do work well, but on the same note I have a couple of two strokes from the 70's and they have the k&n filters and the motorcycles have to be jetted differently with the filter. So who knows. I wish someone mad a supercharger for the H3 five cylinder, that bolted on with no problems what so ever.