PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCMforless tuning options (send in, core, loaner)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 02:47 AM
Default PCMforless tuning options (send in, core, loaner)

I know this can all be a bit confusing, hopefully this post can straighten it out.

1. Send in. You are always welcome to send your PCM in to us, if you have another vehicle to drive. We are almost always able to have your PCM back out to you the same day that we receive it, to minimize downtime. The price is $149 plus shipping.

2. Core program. In this, we send you a tuned 'core' PCM that you install. You then send in your stock PCM, and receive the $125 core charge back. If you wish to keep your stock PCM and forgo the refund, that is fine with us. We just ask that you notify us so that I can stay on top of how many PCM's I have coming and going. With the core program you MUST have a CASE relearn done. Cost - $149 (tune) + $125 (core charge) + shipping.

3. Loaner program. This is for the folks who cannot be without their H3, but don't want to fool around with getting a CASE relearn. We send you a stock PCM to get you through the week. You send in your personal PCM, which we reprogram. Since it is out of your truck, it already has your vin/calibration on it, so I do not need to overwrite new information to the PCM, thus the CASE information stays intact. We then ship your tuned PCM back, and you return our loaner. We charge extra for this service because we have to write two PCM's for you instead of one, and also ship twice. Cost - $149 (tune) + $125 (core charge) + $50 (loaner fee) + $20 shipping.

We ship through USPS, either priority ($15) or express overnight ($30). The website says $12 but will be changed shortly, we have increased shipping costs to include insurance.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:16 AM
Default RE: PCMforless tuning options (send in, core, loaner)

Kelly- I have an extra vehicle and can do w\out my 3 for a few days. Where do I ship to? I'm from the San Diego area. Priority mail would be ok for me. I have read the feedback and am anxious to see what will happen with optimzing the pcm. Let me know. Also, instructions on module extraction would be helpful, you know, like where its located, how many plugs, etc. Thanks in advance for your help.Rock on-Mark

Old 10-24-2006, 12:30 PM

ORIGINAL: markthetech

Kelly- I have an extra vehicle and can do w\out my 3 for a few days. Where do I ship to? I'm from the San Diego area. Priority mail would be ok for me. I have read the feedback and am anxious to see what will happen with optimzing the pcm. Let me know. Also, instructions on module extraction would be helpful, you know, like where its located, how many plugs, etc. Thanks in advance for your help.Rock on-Mark
Mark,

Removing the PCM is easy. It is located on the passenger side firewall. Start by disconnecting the battery. There are three connectors total. On each connector is a little red tab that 'locks' it together. Once you pull that out, there is a little gray handle on each connector that loosens it, then it pulls right out. Once all three connectors are off, the PCM snaps out of its holder.

Our address is PCMforless, 7412 Claymont Dr, Charlotte, NC 28227.

Kelly

Old 10-24-2006, 12:49 PM

Hi Kelly,

I have a question that may have already been discussed, but I couldn't find the post.

What are the pros and cons of keeping my original PCM and installing a tuned replacement unit vs. reprogramming my original PCM?

For example, should I keep the original as-is in case I need dealer warranty work or something? Or, could the dealer overwrite the tune while doing some other service?

And while I'm asking dumb questions What is a CASE relearn? Does it hurt?

Thanks,
-Alan

Old 10-24-2006, 12:50 PM

If I may be of some assistance..

I found it easier if you have big hands, to remove the coolant tank and set it aside, makes getting at the connectors much easier.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: kelly

ORIGINAL: markthetech

Mark,

Removing the PCM is easy. It is located on the passenger side firewall. Start by disconnecting the battery. There are three connectors total. On each connector is a little red tab that 'locks' it together. Once you pull that out, there is a little gray handle on each connector that loosens it, then it pulls right out. Once all three connectors are off, the PCM snaps out of its holder.

Our address is PCMforless, 7412 Claymont Dr, Charlotte, NC 28227.

Kelly
I had a really hard time getting the wiring harnesses off of the PCM, BUT don't let that discouarage you. You may need to jiggle them back and forth to ease them off. Mine were Extremely tight, but only on my original PCM. On the Loaner that Kelly sent me, they went on and off fairly easily. It may just be that the plastic moldings on mine are a little off and made the connections tighter. Overall, it's fairly easy. Do NOT start your car until you read the security relearn procedure. That's my advice ;-)

Old 10-24-2006, 07:47 PM

Thanks Dennis for the picture and the reservoir advise. I went the PCM 'loaner' route and should be receiving it from Kelly tomorrow.

I assume this will be included in their instructions, but what's up with the security re-program?

BTW- I towed my boat for the first time yesterday (approx 3200#). I need another 3 cylinders! Maybe Kelly can program 3 software cylinders in my tune. Man alive, I'm going to miss my Dodge Ram 1500!

Old 10-24-2006, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Apparently the PCM has a security feature that doesn't allow your vehicle to start unless it knows that it belongs with YOUR H3 and not somebody elses. I guess it's a preventative measure to deter theft. Anyway, there is a 35 minute procedure you will need to do to teach the PCM that it belongs in your vehicle. It isn't hard, but it's time consuming, so bring a paper or video game system or something to keep you occupied while you wait in the car. I'm obviously not going to post how it's done, but you will get instructions on how to do it. It's VERY easy.

The GOOD news is when you get your original PCM back reprogrammed, you will not have to do this because it already knows it belongs in your H3. When I got mine back, it started right up with no problems.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:52 PM

They did ask me for the VIN and apparently verified it for accuracy. I bet that's why... interesting...

Old 10-25-2006, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Dennis

All that is required for the loaner is it to be flashed with the VIN and that should be easy for Alvin to do before he sends it and then you won't have to go through all that learning mode.
Actually, you do have to go through it no matter what if you have a loaner. They program the VIN in there for you but it still requires the security relearn. Why? I don' t know, but that's the process.

Quick Reply: PCMforless tuning options (send in, core, loaner)