PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

PCM4Less vs HPTuners

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Default PCM4Less vs HPTuners

I see that everyone here seems very pleased with their PCM4Less upgrades on their H3s. After reading their site, it appears that they use HPTuners to program their PCMs that they send out.

I have a buddy here who runs a shop doing hot rod engine swaps and other similar stuff. He does a lot of conversions putting modern LSx engines into older cars and adding all the electronics and stuff. So he has all of the HPTuners equipment and a good bit of experience with them as well.

I was at his shop working on my radiator the other day and was telling him about my plans to get my exhaust and intake opened up and then order a new programmed PCM. I showed him the PCM4Less site and he noticed the HPTuners link on their page. He said that he has the same stuff they do and it would cost $100 to get the code from them to work for the H3.

So... the question becomes do I use the H3 experience of PCM4Less which costs $199 plus shipping and downtime while the PCM is in transit. Or so I spend $100 to get the code so we can reprogram my H3 any time we want and try different things? The price difference is not huge so that should not be the factor. Just looking for opinions. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:18 AM

So once you have the code, what exactly is the procedure for reprogramming? Special equipment, etc.?

Old 03-27-2011, 11:32 AM

This and a laptop. $349 for the standard version. But my buddy already has the hardware.

From the PCM4Less site:
PCMforless.com

From HPTuners site: My buddy has the VCM Suite.
HPTuners.com >> Performance At Your Fingertips

Basically, HPTuners is a program that lets you hook up your computer to the computer in your car. Lots of people use code readers, but with HPTuners you can make changes too. I was shocked at all the things that are actually modifiable. But then, that is a bit scary too. Some mods might make things worse but I guess having the ability to explore and keep the good things and change the bad ones back is good.

It takes 2 credits to buy the code to work on one H3 at $49 per credit. For 6 credits, you can get the code to work on multiple H3s (Alphas take a different code obviously).

Old 03-27-2011, 07:42 PM

I say go for it if your buddy will let you try some settings and then make changes for you after you decide you like or dislike... Change tire sizes go see your buddy for speedometer reset, don't like the roughness of the shift go back and see your buddy.... I see some advantages if the both of you are tight and he doesn't mind working with you.... I would get that straight up front though...

Old 03-27-2011, 08:16 PM

We've worked on car projects together for years. He has the shop and is one of the best fabricators I have ever seen. Lots of times I come up with ideas for things in different car hobbies I am in and he figures out how to do it and makes it happen. The HPTuners thing was his idea. I just told him I was probably going to order a PCM from PCM4Less.

Here's the 13" Dodge Viper brakes we just put on my wife's HHR. I told Chris that the wimpy stock brakes looked silly inside the 18" wheels and he set to work on it. Works and looks great! So yeah, he'll work with me on it.

Name:  100_1159.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  94.3 KB

Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 PM

Yea its worth getting if you are interested in tinkering with your H3 but 99% of enthusiest just want more power, they aren't interested in trial and error, data logging, etc..

I plan on getting HP Tuners for my engine swap project. I'm in the 1% haha. I will probably use it on my H3 also.