PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Question for the Guys in the Know

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 08:36 AM
Default Paint Question for the Guys in the Know

First off, let me state that I know nothing about paint and/or painting a vehicle, so if your knowledge level is 1 and you have a comment, it would be helpful. I am going to have my SUT exterior coating changed to a matte color. I have 3 and maybe 4 possibilities. The first 2 require painting. I have an estimate for painting my SUT. The guy explained to me that he would blend the matte color I chose and spray it with an expensive clear coat. May be a 3 step process? The 2nd guy said he could blend a primer and mix in a clear coat for sealing (waterproofing) instead of using actual paint. This 2nd process was about half the cost of the 1st process. The other option is Line X the exterior. I don't know the cost yet, but I see this and it looks pretty good. Another process is Plasti-Dip. I read where this actually maintains the original color underneath, so seems to me maybe not as permanent and actually pretty cheap. I am assuming with Plasti-Dip they do not remove the trim pieces and only tape everything off. I am really interested in opinions on paint vs primer. In addition any comments on any of these options would be helpful.