PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our adventure at "The Cliffs" ORV park in IL

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default Our adventure at "The Cliffs" ORV park in IL

HummerMike, Myself and another member of our Hummer club decided to spontaniously check this new park out that is only about 35 minutes from my house. Mike called ahead of time and they said the trails were modified for H1 passage. Well, they weren't.

http://www.thecliffsinsaneterrain.com/info.html

We got there around 12:45 and Mike was already there with his buddy. We spent half the time walking around trying to figure out if the H3's would pass, and at one point just got so deep into a forest where there was absolutely no clearance for a H3. It was more for ATV's then anything. We spent about 2 hours there and just decided to leave. The trails at this place are decent, but just not cut wide enough for Hummers, which was very dissappointing considering the park has alot of potential for us if the openings between the trees were a little bit wider. Because of this we really didn't take many pictures because there wasn't much to take pictuers of. I will post a few in a bit.

I had 3 passengers in my H3 and it handled flawlessly, so I answered my own question as to whether extra passengers would make a difference in handling. If anything, it handled better with the extra wieght.

Anyway, we did have fun, and Mike had about 35% of his driver's side of his H3 at a 50 degree angle sunk in a mud pool (that was fun!) but all in all it's a good park, just not Hummer friendly. My wife was like a comedian the whole time, saying "There goes the resale value. Oh great, another branch" We called her the human depreciation calculator, but she liked it alot and she can't wait to go to the Badlands now, whereas before she really didn't want to. She liked getting out of the Hummer and hiking around.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Default RE: Our adventure at "The Cliffs" ORV park in IL

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]hehehehe .... sucks it was such a disappointment ... I'll throw in my usual pitch here .. common down to Haspin, I can guarantee you you won't regret it :-)

Old 07-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

If we go down there, I'm just warning you I'm not going to be into anything more then some rough trail-riding rather then crazy off-roading, since we don't have any means of transportation other then this car and no money to be towed 400 miles back to IL lol. I think we'd be more into just driving the trails and the milder stuff and not tackle any crazy stuff. I think that's the next thing we are goign to look into, other then the dunes, but I'll start looking into it and maybe we can get a thread going about a trip out there.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:24 PM

In all honesty, the trails out in Haspin can be very crazy and challanging .. and they can also be very rewarding yet mild. None of the trails we did would qualify as advanced in my book. I think the first 2 we took were by far the worst, especially for a deuce with it's fat azz! Both of these included aggressive drops, tripods, crazy approach/departure angles, crazy off camber angles, lots of ruts/logs. It was messy as hell but I got through with just minor trail rash. The mud side of Haspin isn't bad either, and yes that's where I busted the rear glass but I think we all know why that happened :/ All in all I thought it provided less agressive trails than Badlands did if you are there as a beginner. I also think it provides A LOT of mid level trails neither you nor me would have any problems navigating.
One of these days we WILL get you guys down here, hopefully before the nights starts getting to cold to camp out there.