PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Default RE: Optima Battery Question

I'm not a battery expert..but these numbers make me think the RED top has more guts to it than theYELLOW top..

RED TOP
MODEL NUMBER 34 & 34R
Voltage 12v

Cold Cranking Amps @ 0F 800
Cranking Amps @ 32F 1000
Reserve Capacity 110
Capacity (C/20 Rate) 50
Internal Resistance (ohms) .0030

YELLOW TOP

DUAL PURPOSE (STARTING & DEEP CYCLE) BATTERIES
MODEL NUMBER D/78
PERFORMANCE
Voltage 12v
Cold Cranking Amps @ 0F 750
Cranking Amps @ 32F870
Reserve Capacity 120
Capacity (C/20 Rate) 55
Internal Resistance (ohms) .0028

Old 05-23-2007, 07:43 PM

I would prefer to have the red top. Whichever between the two you'll have, still stick to OEM. I've been using Mercedes OEM parts with my old car and still reliable than some aftermarket parts that I bought. Nevermind the price...

Old 05-23-2007, 08:01 PM

I'll put my money on Dennis' responce since he knows more about electricity that the average bear. My second bet is to ask the wife which one matches the color of the truck better and go with it. It might be the wrong battery, but it will look good.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:32 PM

This is one of those times when the best answer is probably to call Optima. Have them explain which they recommend, and then have them tell you why. If you have someone from within, who really knows the product, they can often put it into terms even us numbskulls can understand. LOL

At least you would be making an informed choice vs. just guessing. Most of the good arguements that I've seen about red vs. yellow, in off road forums is in favor of the yellow. More often the reasons are over my head.. [&:]so I can't really say what you should do.

I have red tops in two different trucks, .. but will probably call Optima when I swap over to dual Optima's in my K5. Then I'll let them explain to me why 2 yellows are better than 2 reds .. or vice versa etc.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Fireman

This is one of those times when the best answer is probably to call Optima. Have them explain which they recommend, and then have them tell you why. If you have someone from within, who really knows the product, they can often put it into terms even us numbskulls can understand. LOL

At least you would be making an informed choice vs. just guessing. Most of the good arguements that I've seen about red vs. yellow, in off road forums is in favor of the yellow. More often the reasons are over my head.. [&:]so I can't really say what you should do.

I have red tops in two different trucks, .. but will probably call Optima when I swap over to dual Optima's in my K5. Then I'll let them explain to me why 2 yellows are better than 2 reds .. or vice versa etc.
I called them and they said they cant make any recommendations because they don’t "fit" an H3. I went with the red and had to do just a little grinding of the battery box. It was not a big deal.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:10 AM

Then ask them what they recommend for a Jeep.... since it doesn't matter anyway. The main idea is what's the better battery for the needs, not so much the specific vehicle.

Or ask them what they would recommend, if it did in fact fit..

Old 05-24-2007, 08:50 AM

That's right the battery is enclosed

Old 05-24-2007, 11:02 AM

When I change out my Stock battery I will be going with one of these...

Old 05-24-2007, 12:18 PM

[IMG]local://upfiles/111/FD8115AA290B49379D42B1E8790427E9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-24-2007, 02:24 PM

ORIGINAL: peanutic

I would prefer to have the red top. Whichever between the two you'll have, still stick to OEM. I've been using Mercedes OEM parts with my old car and still reliable than some aftermarket parts that I bought. Nevermind the price...
In the case of MB, the replacement dealer OEM battery in theUSis actuallya rebadged Interstate battery. Nothing wrong with Interstate BTW, it's just not as good as the Optima design. Optima is just too expensive to run through the OEM supply chain.

You can still save a lot of money and stay OEM for a lot of MB maintenance parts. You can purchase Bosch, Boge,F&S, Hella andmany other partsfor your car that are the same as the factory parts. They just don't have theMB packageing and didn't go through the MB supply chain. This will save you a lot when you are doing brake, strut, and other such repairs.

Quick Reply: Optima Battery Question