PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is onstar like 911? or do they tell you to pound sand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:57 AM
Default is onstar like 911? or do they tell you to pound sand?

I was just wondering...

this will be my third vehicle with onstar in it.. I've never activated it, but I was wondering.. let's say hypothetically that i'm in an accident in the mountain passes of tennessee in the middle of nowhere, or I flip off the road into a raging river or something....or some other emergency... will they help, or tell me I should have signed up? I mean even de-activated cellphones connect you to 911. is onstar under any obligation to help if you report an emergency situation? I'm not wanting to count on onstar for free or anything, it's just something I've always thought of... I mean if the kids push the button, the onstar operator comes on whether you have service or not.. what do you think they'd say if I told them I hit a deer, or crashed into a tree? I asked the onstar operator once, and she said if you're not a subscriber, they're instructed to tell you to hang up and call 911. does that sound right?

I can't believe they'd try to sell me service before calling an ambulance...

Old 08-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Default RE: is onstar like 911? or do they tell you to pound sand?

Hi Steve,

On-star is a Service..........if you don't subscribe for them, they not Oblagated to help you.........I think it would need to be a (Real Emergency) to find out.........weather they would or not.........

It also depends where you are, the on-star has Anttena has to be above the (water-line) to work.......our H2 had the old Analog system in it (2004), and it was spottie for service in some off-road locations.........I have sence up-graded to Digatal and now it works everywhere..........

I subscribe to them,for both our HUMMERS,to me its worth the Money for the service and Phone use..........and to get weather reports, to take the boat out........I have called them (pushed on-star-Button) 23 times and they responded with-in 10 seconds........

The only Issue I have, is not being able to shut it off........Disconnect it whenI want too.......sometimesI just want to listen to the BOSE System, with out someone calling on the Truck Phone........or just want to Get Lost......

Its not a (Have too..) service....it like an Insurance Policy, if you don't need it (thats good) but if you do need it........Its there and waiting for you........

Have a Great Day...........

Old 08-19-2007, 09:07 AM

As far as I know, the emergency button works no matter what. As far as the auto detect in an accident, I have no idea

Old 08-19-2007, 09:19 AM

Hi Blackstangs,

If your in an Accident and the air bags deploy, they send Emergency equipment your way......they know where you are at any given time on the Planet........

If your ableto responed to them or Not.........(Voice).

If you come up on an accident, and push the On-Star Button (Red Cross)they will send Emergency equipment to where you are also.....On Request.......

With Service..........I don't know about without service.........

Old 08-19-2007, 07:58 PM

Well......... I just got my h2 about 4 hours ago, and a year of onstar for free, so looks like I'll be trying it out!

Old 08-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Did you guys say onstar? I don't need no stinkin onstar https://www.hummerforums.com/m_76203/tm.htm [sm=idontcare.gif]