PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Default Oil leak

Hello I have an 03 hummer H2 that has an oil leak somewhere above the oil filter the filter always has a DRIP of oil on it and I lost a Quart of oil in about 2000 miles. Any Ideas as to what it might be I had it to the shop 2 times an they said its the oil filter so they put a new one on an it has the same Drip again after driving home.
Please does anybody have a clue as to what it might be.
I have 78000 miles on it, also it sure seems to lack power I'm having the spark plugs changed tomorrow I think thier still factory plugs since it seems the previous owner didn't do much to this but drive it. I just bought it.
any help would be appreciated Thanks

Old 04-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Banned

2009 post ? Any info on what it was? I have the same problem although this started at 170000 miles. I changed the filter, and oil cooler lines gasket. I'm gonna drop some dye in the oil and see if I can trace it. Maybe the pan gasket or rear main seal. Leak is not that bad but it is frustrating!

Old 05-01-2015, 10:00 AM

my 04 does the same thing and so far it looks like its my oilpan gasket . i was thinking of replacing it myself but without a lift its almost imposible for me to do it ...and by the way im at 169k miles ...

Old 05-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Banned

I think you are correct. Havent dyed it yet but it looks like its coming from the oil pan, just above where the cooler lines connect to the pan. Check out Ytube where a guy actually replaced the pan gasket with jackstands. haha Not a great vid but shows what he had to remove to get the pan out. He didnt drop the front diff, just lowered it a bit. Doesnt seem too hard with a handy dandy impact wrench.

Looks like he removed of course the skid plate, rock protector bar assembly, front axle brace and used a bottle jack to drop the front diff a few inches for the pan to clear. The pan has a few 10 mm bolts like the old chevy smallblocks. They sell a cap to plug off the oil cooler lines port. Debating wether to plug it up as I know my lines are wet toward the front... (failing). I will be definitely using two jackstands on each side of the monster vehicle. Another weekend project to save around 1400 bucks. I did some research and one mechanic wanted 1400 to pull the pan due to the excessive labor. Good Grief! Unless you have the extra funds or up in age, im gonna do it myself

Old 05-07-2015, 03:39 AM
Banned

Update: disconnected the oil cooler lines from the oil pan and replaced the gasket again. Oil still dripping but much slower. I guess i was headed in the right direction but unsure. I dumped the dye in it, darkened the garage and put on my funky yellow glasses. I found no leaks anywhere except for.......wait for it ...oil cooler line gasket to the pan. I read online that others have been having the same problems after numerous attempts to seal this area. I removed the two lower pan to tranny bolts, retorqued the pan to 80 inch pounds. Replaced the lower tranny bolts to the pan. Disconnected the oil cooler lines and dumped them in the trash. Leaking at the soft hoses to the front anyway. Bought a block off plate from Jegs. It has a big rubber Oring. No silicone or nothing needed. No more leaks. Done.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:48 AM

Always curious for potential future fixes as mine only has 64k on it. Do you have links for the parts you bought? I like to bookmark stuff in case I need it in the future.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:26 AM
Banned
Old 05-08-2015, 05:38 PM

Much thanks!

I didn't realize that's what you were talking about. I had bought something similar for my GTO that I threaded to install an oil pressure sending unit for some new gauges.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Banned

Ya they sell a plate w a sensor hole. Also saw a aftermarket plate with 2 threaded ports to install a "real" oil cooler cooled by air and not 200 degree water. :-)

Old 06-28-2015, 06:02 AM

guys,this mod means that we no more need to run the oil thru the cooller is it? (by installing this jegs plate)

Quick Reply: Oil leak