PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which oil filter PF48F or PF48E

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 11:54 AM
Default Which oil filter PF48F or PF48E

I have been using a PF48F on my 2007 H2. GM is switching to the new style PF48E.

Not sure if I should use that one, or stock up on the old PF48 or PF48F. There is a difference in the construction.

Anybody have experience with these new filters? Are they any good?

I want to keep using OEM AC Delco products for my H2, so please do NOT recommend other brands.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:35 PM

I don't have an answer, but why do you want AC Delco filters?
I'm more curious than anything. I always like to know why people have a bias, good or bad.

Here is a discussion of the PF48E vs PF48: Click me!

Here's another link: Click me too!

I have not read them but simply came across these. Bobistheoilguy typically has a solid member list with good info & this thread also has some interesting stuff you might want to check out.

All that said, I'm currently running Wix.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:18 PM

Thanks. Already checked those links, and a few others before I posted above. They were of no value in determining the differences in effectiveness, quality, durability, etc.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:29 PM

And the bobistheoilguy link discusses the influx of ecore vs older designs. So there you go...
They look like crap: Link

In terms of durability, well, there's large holes, so it's possible that the media (filter) can cave in & cause issues. Ecore seems to be a cost effective way to build a high flow filter, but it lacks some structural designs & can cause problems. This is at least one argument I see in various threads & why people don't like the design, as a whole.
Anything "new" & "improved" is really just a quality cut, cost cut that will effect the life of your engine.

You never answered my question though.
Why the love affair with AC Delco parts?
It's not as if they are higher quality than a lot of 3rd party parts.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:37 PM

Thanks Synth!

OK, that last link sealed the deal. Thanks. I missed that one.

No ecore filters for me. The large plastic mesh is just too large for comfort. I am going back to the PF48F and stocking up!

I have owned Chevys for 40 years. Overall, I find the quality of GM branded parts and disposables dependable. No guess work. Most of their stuff is rigorously tested to perform as spec'd for a particular vehicle. If the component fails or causes failure of another part, I can go to GM and demand restitution as it was a spec'd part/fluid I used. But primarily because it avoids me having to experiment with other brands.

FYI I used to use Fram filters with Mobil 1, in the early days, and my engines eventually blew blue. So was it Mobil 1 or the filters? We may never know for sure, but I am using Mobil 1 still and no more blue smoke since I stopped using Fram. So let's just say I do not trust aftermarket filters as much as OEM products.

Here is another example. Take aftermarket wheels. Do you know that GM does side impact tests on vendors' OEM wheels supplied to them? I do not know too many aftermarket wheel makers that do the same. So GM wheels are categorically safer.

So call it many years of experience, which has taught me that a certain comfort level can be gained for parts whose faults can not be easily determined to only be OEM. Since I can not guess if an aftermarket oil filter does what it advertises, I have to default to OEM. This is one item whose effectiveness is hard to judge in an aftermarket unit like Wix or Fram, unless you have a testing lab.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:46 AM

I've owned everything from high horsepower muscle cars to economy cars and now this giant hog!

I have never used Fram oil filters as typically they have been looked at as junk of the industry from my readings years ago. I can understand your want to use genuine AC Delco parts. I typically do when it comes to major components but for oil filters I believe other brands are far superior. Mobil 1 oil is also required in many GM performance vehicles so why not their oil filters as well?

Old 05-12-2015, 09:48 AM

Everyone: I want to keep using OEM AC Delco products for my H2, so please do NOT recommend other brands. I already clearly explained why.
I do not want to have this thread turn into a discussion of which brand is better than another.

But sure would like to hear about your experience of using a PF48E. Thanks.

Last edited by finall; 05-12-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by finall
Thanks Synth!

OK, that last link sealed the deal. Thanks. I missed that one.

No ecore filters for me. The large plastic mesh is just too large for comfort. I am going back to the PF48F and stocking up!

I have owned Chevys for 40 years. Overall, I find the quality of GM branded parts and disposables dependable. No guess work. Most of their stuff is rigorously tested to perform as spec'd for a particular vehicle. If the component fails or causes failure of another part, I can go to GM and demand restitution as it was a spec'd part/fluid I used. But primarily because it avoids me having to experiment with other brands.

FYI I used to use Fram filters with Mobil 1, in the early days, and my engines eventually blew blue. So was it Mobil 1 or the filters? We may never know for sure, but I am using Mobil 1 still and no more blue smoke since I stopped using Fram. So let's just say I do not trust aftermarket filters as much as OEM products.

Here is another example. Take aftermarket wheels. Do you know that GM does side impact tests on vendors' OEM wheels supplied to them? I do not know too many aftermarket wheel makers that do the same. So GM wheels are categorically safer.

So call it many years of experience, which has taught me that a certain comfort level can be gained for parts whose faults can not be easily determined to only be OEM. Since I can not guess if an aftermarket oil filter does what it advertises, I have to default to OEM. This is one item whose effectiveness is hard to judge in an aftermarket unit like Wix or Fram, unless you have a testing lab.
There's so many factors that could go into the smoke color. If both the oil & filter were changed, you'll never know. Either one could be a fluke, so we'll never know.

The reason I don't really trust GM is the whole recall issue. GM doesn't really do much in the way of safety testing... just what is required. On all accounts, take a look at GM's track record w/ safety over the years. There's always an issue. Not to say other companies also don't have safety issues (they indeed do), but it's a laughable claim that the filter works, so it must be better. If anything, it must be a cheaper product, since profit is the bottom line. I think history speaks for itself.

On the filter issue, I really go by forums like Bobistheoilguy, since people are sending off oil to get analysed by a netural lab. Anything coming out of GM, imo, will be swayed in their favor. You'll also not see GM advocate 3rd party filters as it will decrease sales of their own products. Trusting GM is like letting the fox guard the chicken coop. It's something to keep in mind. As for my opinion on why I think lab findings can be swayed in the direction of the person funding the project, ask me how I know.

If the filters haven't failed you, I'd say keep using them, though. Like you basically said, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I can't blame that mentality. It's not as if you can get an improved filter, unless you buy a higher capacity filter to extend oil changes. Not sure if AC Delco makes a model for that.

As for the wheels, have a link?
I'd be really curious to read this.

Originally Posted by LoJac963
I've owned everything from high horsepower muscle cars to economy cars and now this giant hog!

I have never used Fram oil filters as typically they have been looked at as junk of the industry from my readings years ago. I can understand your want to use genuine AC Delco parts. I typically do when it comes to major components but for oil filters I believe other brands are far superior. Mobil 1 oil is also required in many GM performance vehicles so why not their oil filters as well?
I've used Fram filters on a ZTR w/o issue. Granted, I have not cut the filter open, but probably no one on here has either. I've never had a traumatic filter failure, be it Fram, Napa Gold/Platinum (which are rebranded Wix), Wix, Mobile-1, etc.

I think each brand of filter has a few solid filters, at the very least. There are a few Fram filters that are considered to be excellent, especially for the budget conscious. I do think the love affair with royal purple products is ridiculous though.

On the topic of oil, I always use full-synthetic simply so I can bypass doing oil changes all the time. I don't mix oils (this is bad), but I've gone from Mobile-1 to Valvoline to whatever & never had an issue. I've only run into issues w/ Quakerstate. No idea why, but it made the vehicles I had run sluggish (yeah, they were the same 5w-30 or whatever GM advises to use).

Now, I typically only by Valvoline as I have had issues with it & it's generally $5 to $10 cheaper per oil change.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:40 AM

@Synth

You make some very good points, and I have to agree with you on just about everything.

1. I do not have a link for the wheels. Remember reading about it, and seeing a video of the testing procedure. Very rigorous testing. Pretty cool. But that was years ago.

1. I used to use QuakerState in the mid 1970s to late 1980s. Changed oil every 3 thousand miles. It was then supposed to be one of the best oils. Turned out to be one of the worst. My cars smoked. They sludged up badly also. Stuff was like tar plating out in the valve covers.

2. I used to work in a testing lab. I know how things work there

3. I know the Delco filter works. I do not know how the non-Delco will perform. That is all. Correct, if it aint't broke....

Old 05-12-2015, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by LoJac963

Thanks. I am sure the Mobil 1 filter is a great filter. Did not know it comes OEM on some GM models. I will talk to my dealer today about this when I return the 48E filters I bought.

Quick Reply: Which oil filter PF48F or PF48E