PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Oil Changes/On Star

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Default Oil Changes/On Star

Just how much faith do you put in the On Star diagnostic report? I did my first oil change right at 3000 miles. I decided that after that I would wait until th H3 system told me i was due for a change. I am now at 13.5k and the On Star report tells me that based on current conditions, etc. I will not be due for an oil change until 16k+ mileage. Oil life currently at 24%. I check the level regualrly and still have plenty of oil and it looks surprisingly clean.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Default RE: Oil Changes/On Star

Normally my monthly report that I get from OnStar is pretty accurate based on changing it every 5,000 miles. However if I go on line and look at the report it is notmally not even there, it almost always tells me that my oil life has not been reset for over a year.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

On my H2 it was dead on. Don't get it with the 3. I actually thought that I got pretty good service out of Onstar. I had several issues in the mountains and they did the diagnostic for me and told me what I needed to know.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:34 AM

It's not like they just pulled the system out of their asses. There were plenty of engineers involved. Plus, if it wasn't accurate, think how many warranty claims there would be. With newer engines and more advanced oils, especially synthetics, the practice of changing youroil every 3000 miles is outdated and unnecessary.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:59 AM

My on-star alert for oil changes have been right around 7500 miles. I take it to my dealer for the change and they re-set the on-star notification. BTW, the oil changes are the same price I was paying for at my Jeep dealership about $30.00 and most of the time I get a $5.00 off coupon from the dealer too. I would NEVER bring it to a Jiffy Lube or quickey oil change place just to save $5.00 or $10.00!! I seen & heard too many horror stories about the high school drop outs they all hire to change your oil. I'm all set there.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

I change my own oil and I sure as heck do not need OnStar to tell me when to do it, print off some report, or call me for a dealer visit.

Every 3,500 miles I change it, based upon what the odometer reads. Imagine that, looking at the odometer and then deciding for myself when to change the oil.
I don't need no stinking OnStar!

Old 02-18-2008, 11:10 AM

I'm planning on going by what OnStar tells me. That way any problems down the road it will be covered.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:15 AM

ORIGINAL: Sewie
. . . With newer engines and more advanced oils, especially synthetics, the practice of changing youroil every 3000 miles is outdated and unnecessary.
I agree. However, I get anxious and don't usually go over 6 months or 6000 miles even though Onstar and GM say I could, Old habits die hard.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:04 PM

I change when the OnStar says I have between 20 - 10% life left in the oil. I use only Mobil 1. It works out to an oil change at about 9,000 miles.

Been using the same system with the wifes SRX which now has over 50,000 miles. The H3 now has about 27,000 on it.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:14 PM

The GM Oil Life System (OLS) is a computer-based algorithm that assesses engine oil condition and optimizes oil change intervals based on vehicle and environmental operating conditions.
And believe it or not it works pretty darn good and keeps you from unnecssary oil changes. I too do my own oil changes and the less time I spend under there dropping skid pansthe better I like it!

Quick Reply: Oil Changes/On Star