PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

offroad driving habits

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Default offroad driving habits

as a general rule, when i'm offroading be it something hard or just meandering down a trail to get from point a to point b, i keep the truck in low range. Speeds are generally very low (10mph or less) and i leave the tranny in "D" or overdrive or whatever, engine RPM are not high unless i'm hitting an obstacle of some kind.

I leave the truck in low range to avoid shifting the t-case constantly. Alot of the terrain (public and private) that i visit is obstacle, space, obstacle, etc.

But, one side-effect of trying to be merciful to the T-case by leaving it in low range is that my truck has about 1200 miles in low range (just under 11,000 overall).

So my question is, which is worse? alot of shifting or all those miles with the t-case turning more than it would have to?

Old 10-22-2006, 01:22 AM
Default RE: offroad driving habits

All I can say is..Chrome won't getcha home...

See, I thought is sounded dumb too..............

Old 10-22-2006, 02:41 AM

as long as you're not driving it at 25mph all the time in low range, it shouldn't hurt it at all. i only drive in lo if the terrain requires it, or if i'm going into something blind, like a mud pit or something. even in snow, i leave it in 4 hi, that way i've got that little extra something in case i get stuck.

and actually, chrome could get you home - you could use it as a reflector to send a morse message from a mountaintop or ridge line and get help . . . .

Old 10-22-2006, 12:06 PM

You waffle more than a democratic candidate

Old 10-22-2006, 01:04 PM

whats with the chrome stuff? What did i miss? [8D] ??? I don't know morse code ... so for my chrome to get me home i'd have to take my hood grille and my rear vents and wire them together into some kind of toboggan, and slide down the mountain.

thanks shortie. you mean by "little extra something" you can still shift into low range & potentially get out, keeping something in reserve?

Old 10-22-2006, 02:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

what's wrong with waffles? i prefer pancakes, but waffles are good as a backup. besides, like i said before, i've never used that term.

Old 10-22-2006, 06:37 PM

ORIGINAL: shortbus

what's wrong with waffles? i prefer pancakes, but waffles are good as a backup. besides, like i said before, i've never used that term.

Whew..For a minute there I thought you were going John Kerry on me...

Yeah I see what you're saying now..Duh! you kindly explained to me earlier what that expression meant "Chrome won't get you home."..But you yourself remained without an opinion about it, hence, your expression.."I never used the term myself.". Where in essence, you don't necessaraly agree with it...And then I called you a bleeding heart wishy-washy Liberal...

I'm Sorry

Old 10-22-2006, 08:47 PM

The only problem with leaving it in high and trying to have something a little extra for when you get stuck is that once you are stuck, your "little extra" could be too little too late, where as if you start off in low range, but a high transmission gear, you can always downshift.
I prefer to run in low range when the terrain requires, but high range when the speed of low range is too slow for the terrain. Basically if I can drive 10 MPH or faster without beating up the vehicle, I shift into high. The only exception is if I am only going a few hundred feet before needing low range again.
One thing to consider about driving in low range, you have crap for fuel economy. I have never seen a gas station on a trail before, but I have seen a gas gauge go from "F" to "E" in just a few hours on a trail before.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:55 PM

ORIGINAL: shortbus

Whew..For a minute there I thought you were going John Kerry on me...

Yeah I see what you're saying now..Duh! you kindly explained to me earlier what that expression meant "Chrome won't get you home."..But you yourself remained without an opinion about it, hence, your expression.."I never used the term myself.". Where in essence, you don't necessaraly agree with it...And then I called you a bleeding heart wishy-washy Liberal...

I'm Sorry

no apology necessary, but accepted and appreciated.

looks like you just left a puddle on the carpet . . . .

Old 10-23-2006, 12:16 AM

At my age, it's called pee-pee

Quick Reply: offroad driving habits