PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Fog lilghts / Electronic Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Default OEM Fog lilghts / Electronic Brake Controller

I recently purchased a 2003 H2 and need to install an Electronic Brake Controller. I looked at the fuse box and there was already another plugged connected to the module, when tracked down, it is the connector for the Fog lights.

Anyone have any info, do you have to use one or the other or is it possible that the fog lights were installed incorrectly? Also, the connector is the OEM connector.

Thanks,

Old 04-23-2012, 08:03 PM

I had the same issue.

This what I did.
Unplug the connector. I just do not have them hooked up right now.
However when I plugged in the tekonsha P3 I got an overload error.
Tested it all but I had not short anywhere.
Followed the wires of the light under the hood The wire had a connector close to the fuse box under the hood. I unplugged it there too and then the controller worked as it should. Until someone knows a permanent solution I plug and unplug when needed. Right now I have the brake controller hooked up

Old 04-24-2012, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the info, definitley sounds like an engineering flaw. Oh well, it is what it is.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:42 PM

Strange, I have an 03 as well and went through it installing a brake controler but for other reasons.

My daytime running lights were not installed in the plug for the brake controller, do you have aftermarket fog lights? I did hear that the aftermarket lights run through that outlet in the panel over your left foot.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:12 PM

I have these lights on the truck and they were plugged in the slot the brake controller goes into also

Name:  IMG_03512.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  75.2 KB

Last edited by nlhummer; 04-24-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:07 PM

My Mickey Mouse roof lights were plugged into that outlet and had me stumped for a bit until I figured it out. I also run with the brake controller plugged in when needed and the lights plugged in on a time share. I just need to run a new power wire for the lights and the problem will be solved.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:16 AM

**nlhummer, I have the same set up as you do, it doesn't make sense why they would make the plug indexed so it goes into the brake controller. I am going to disconnect all the fog light controlls and then go old school and just wire a relay off an accessory power circuit.

**H2CANEPADESIGN, correct the daytime runners are part of the original wiring and yes the fog lights OEM for the brushguard run into the fuse box, but it seems the indexing on the plug fits only the electronic brake controller. It seems a little odd, why not just use one of the other modules on the fuse block.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:33 PM

I agree, I have a few empty slots in mine as well. I was stumped for a bit when I found I would have to hardwire in some aftermarket roof lights even though there is a switch built into the headliner console.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:37 PM

unfortunately I am not electrically inclined, So unless I find someone willing to help for some good dutch beer I will be going with either brake controller or foglights but not both at the same time

Old 05-02-2012, 07:10 AM

nlhummer, if you live in Michigan, we can make that exchange possible!!

Quick Reply: OEM Fog lilghts / Electronic Brake Controller