PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Newbie here - lease assumption?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Default Newbie here - lease assumption?

This sure looks like the right place - I'm in the market for an SUV that can haul my 2 kids, dog, and tow a small fishing boat. I just sold my Exxon Valdez (2005 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 V-10 - 10 being both the number of cylinders *and* the MPG). I've been mostly looking at Ford Explorers and the like, but happened on a lease assumption deal locally. It's a 2008 H3 with the Adventure pkg, Monsoon, etc. Looks like it would fit my SUV needs, and the lease has about a year and a half to run @ ~$400 / mo. I'm seriously tempted, but am concerned about the mileage (surprise) and the visibility out, especially in back. My 4 year old has a hard time seeing out from his Mom's 2008 CTS, I don't want him to think he's in a cave in my truck.

Thoughts?

Old 08-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Newbie here - lease assumption?

Welcome to the forums.

My kids really like my 3, they come with big mirrors for looking behind you, if you are tall visibility is not as bad as some others.
My mileage is ok, I run Mobil1 synthetic with some performance modsand can get 18.5 mpgall summer long.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:18 AM

Kids are grown and gone, so I cant help you there!! But the mileage is much better than any ford I've driven at about 19 MPG's. What the H3 lacks in the mileage category, is payed back 10-fold in the "still-cant-wipe-the-smile-off-the-face" fun to drive category. Traded my Expedition off on the H3 over a year ago and don't miss theFord one bit!!

Old 08-12-2008, 07:49 AM

I've had my H3 (Alpha) for about three months and average 13.5MPG with a commute that has lots of hills. I was concerned about rear visibility and hoped I'd get used to the lack thereof but I haven't. In fact, I'm considering having a backup camera installed.

On a positive note, I would not trade this car for anything. I can't explain it but I enjoy driving it more and more every day. I leased mine with several options for right around $400 too which made it a no brainier for me.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:10 AM

We have 2 kids(boys 6 &7)and they both love ours. My wife loves the fact that the windows are smaller, because she fells that no one can reach in and get her. She was previously driving a Yukon XL. She also loves the fact the vehicle is so sure footed on the road and off road. Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:31 AM

My 4 year old loves it. It's all he wants to ride in. 13-14 mpg city. 17.5-18.5 highway.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:15 PM

People say I sometimes I act like a 4 year old - and I love the H3. I average about 14mpg in mostly city driving. Should be able to satisfy your needs.

quick check - the tow package is not standard on the H3. Make sure it is installed on yours already or plan on a couple hundred to get one installed. The aftermarket ones hang below the bumper vs. through a cutout on the factory ones.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:37 PM

I had my H3 about 3 or 4 months when I really found out how poor the rear visibility was!! That cop was really pissed when I backed into his patrol car while arguing the validity of the fire code as it relatesto parking in front of a retail facility. Darn, I thought he was a rent-a-cop until I looked in the rear view mirror and saw the Twin Sonics [:@]

Old 08-13-2008, 07:56 AM

Get the rear backup camera option and you won't have any problems. I get 17 mpg.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:37 AM

You will love the H3! I agree with the backup camera option. I am not sure I would jump onan existing lease with a high residual value! May be better off buying new! Just a thought!

Quick Reply: Newbie here - lease assumption?