PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 03:20 PM
Default Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I have always wanted to get a hummer since they came out. But I'm completely lost at which ones to look at.

I've heard the 2004 are good. But should I be looking out for as well as what problems were with them. I've read alot about the engines. I've seen different upgrades what do you suggest?

Also when it comes to engines I've heard they've had really bad issues. I researched a company called predator and they offer conversions for duramax and cummins. I've always known of cummings engines but not much about duramax.

What do you all prefer hard top or soft top? I have an old jeep and I love being able to take the top off but with hummers your committed to either one or the other. Which ones do you like and why?

I know there is a ton more and since I'm just starting to look I just want to get as educated as possible.

Thank you so much

Old 04-16-2016, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

96-2000 TD motors had an issue with the #8 cylinder. A Duramax or Cummins conversion probably starts in the 30K range and goes up to 50 K. 2004 is not a particularly good year. It was the only year for the CAT electronics and Catepillar no longer supports it. Wagons generally bring more than open tops. IMO the best years are 97.5-98 and 2002-2003.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:00 PM

So are the conversions worth it? If you can afford it? Also which one? (duramax or cummings)?

So then the 2003 would be the better option? How about axles? What upgrades are worth doing (engine, transmission, interior everything). I just want to get the best one that I can. Like my old CJ7 that I have this would be some daily driving but mostly off road use.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Despite what some people say the 6.5TD is not a motor you can wring a lot of extra HP out of. I think most people will tell you the conversions are not worth it. If you want that power buy an Alpha. You can put 30-50k+ into a conversion and people will pay you like you have a stock truck, or less. The Alpha will protect your investment. The Cummins conversions seem to be less problematic because the electronic interface is much simpler. To do the DMax conversion right you need to upgrade the frame rails, hub gears, half shafts, etc to the 12.1 stuff. Interior upgrades...only your pocket book limits the options but stock trucks bring the most money.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:13 PM

I agree 100%. the 6.2/6.5 are sorta dogs.. reliable [except for the #8 early 506 block castings] but no where near the performance you would expect from a modern diesel pickup but that's fine to me [I drive my H1 like a school bus, slow and watch the temperature guages].

Conversions are a money pit, I had the #8 crack on my truck a while ago and after seeing a few friends go the cummins/duramax conversion route I decided to keep it stock and replace the old 6.5 with the updated 6500 optimizer [newer casting].

Most conversions will run $50,000 and will take up to a year afterwards to debug, I have never seen a turn key conversion service provided yet. Having the Duramax and Cummins power on tap, but for the time/money involved, you are better off buying a 2006 Alpha. At least there you can get your money back. Conversions don't add to the resell value.